Items dissapear after some time

It just happened to me. I got those pyrric gauntlets and well, wanted to keep them for time when I will have 90% protection for acid. So i left them around the entrance to Formello. One time I entered it... and puff! Nothing. What's kinda strange, cause loot from dungeons never disappears. Posted it just to warn you.

It just happened to me. I got those pyrric gauntlets and well, wanted to keep them for time when I will have 90% protection for acid. So i left them around the entrance to Formello. One time I entered it... and puff! Nothing. What's kinda strange, cause loot from dungeons never disappears. Posted it just to warn you.

They're radioactive. They decayed.

FWIW, I left a pile of stuff at the Tower of Magi (right by the portal) for a while, and it seemed safe enough. And for a long time in Jeff's games it's been possible to leave junk lying around pretty much anywhere (aside from random encounters outdoors), which is why I was puzzled by Slarty's comment. Are the Castle / Silver / Olgai just suggestions, or is there some mechanical reason to keep stuff there?