Dust Bowl: Yet Another AIMHack Campaign

Sarachim

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Dantius
I'm guessing that epic brews are classified at the discretion of the DM, or do you have a list of those, too?

probbo the former at this stage, we don't want the list to be entirely closed-ended

if a PC wanted to research a potion for a specific purpose they should probably talk to their DM and make arrangements to fit in a subquest or possibly a small solo quest

Yes, something like this. Even if I made a list, it would be more for illustrative purposes than anything else. Xiriatl's the only alchemist right now and Thuryl is doing fine making up potions on her own, so such a list is probably unnecessary.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder: Session one of Dust Bowl is tomorrow at 6:00PM EDT! That's just under 24 hours from now.

Originally Posted By: Sorgun, Dwarven Shipwright
My colleague Yuthan would tell you that speed is the best protection for a ship, but you can't survive a storm by outsailing the wind. A sturdy design is safer by far.

Session 1 of Dust Bowl is complete, and exceeded even my most unreasonable hopes! Log will be up soon, but for now, have some quotes:

Click to reveal.. (Lightning falls, everyone dies)
Gramzon: "I am quite sure it will be very interesting to see so much water."

Eric: "It is, but it gets old fast."

Wybren: "I don't mean to sound gauche, but there's also the matter of our reimbursement."

Xiriatl: "Of course. There is nothing wrong with fair compensation for fair work. It allows more fair work to be done, after all."

Pulig: "I can only warn you that whoever did this is no novice. Be very, very careful, or he'll blow your head off."

Leitha: "Whatever happened to being a gentleman, Xir?"

Eva: ""I've got an idea... Next time, let's walk."

Great session, everybody! I'm looking forward to the next one. If any of you are no longer available for the same time next week, please let me know.

In case anybody isn't reading the Selos/BM postmortem thread, please note this:

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
My ruling for Dust Bowl is that both Diplomacy and Bluff will become Composure. Nobody has both skills, so it works out neatly. As the original skills are becoming more powerful (characters with Bluff are effectively gaining free Diplomacy, and vice-versa) I think this is fair all around, but anyone who disagrees is welcome to PM me about it.

Hmm, none of the other skills seem to fit. If I may, I'll get rid of my rank of Bluff (1 point), and move Streetwise from two ranks to one (2 points), and put another rank into Martial (Crossbows).

This way, everybody but Eva "Cursed with Krakens" Roe and Leitha "Too Cool for just one Martial Skill" Mondra will have three ranks or more in some Martial skill.

Originally Posted By: Wybren 2.0

STR: 3

DEX: 4

INT: 4

Max HP: 8

Composure: 3 ranks (6 points) + 1 racial bonus

Magic (Enchantment): 3 ranks (6 points)

Martial (Crossbows): 3 ranks (6 points)

Perception: 1 rank (1 point)

Streetwise: 1 rank (1 point) + 1 racial bonus

The log for session 1 is here!

Also, since nobody's told me that their schedule's changed, session 2 is officially Friday, June 11, at 6:00PM EDT.

I've thought it over, and here's how I've decided to handle levels. Basically, they'll occur half as often, but give twice as much. So, with each level, you can increase your stats by two (two points to one stat, or one point to two different ones), increase a stat by one and your skills by two, or increase your skills by four. The first point of a new skill still costs two points (so you could go from zero to three with one level).

Sadly, this means that the party hasn't leveled up yet. But when you do, you'll appreciate it more!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot something. Dinti, your changes to Wybren are approved.

Originally Posted By: Wall of Bounties, Aimus Post Office
Wanted: Leitha Mondra, elf, for theft and assault. Suspect is proficient with knives and has been known to carry a concealed weapon.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Okay,I just want to make sure that I understand the level up.

4 points per level up.

Skill up any stat costs 2 points.

Train up a known skill costs 1 point.

Train a new skill costs 2 points for first level.

Is this right?

Wait, are you sure you've thought this through enough? If you don't scale the cost, people could ostensibly dump 4 points into a skill per level! They could become incredibly powerful at something in 2-3 levels. It would break your game so much!

This will work better once the website's up, but in the meantime, why wait?

Click to reveal.. (Eva's spell list)
Ball Lightning (Evocation) - Fires ball lightning at an opponent (basic attack spell).

Flameburst (Evocation) - Creates a small burst of flame on the target, damaging it and anything within a very short AoE.

Flashbang (Evocation) - Fires a small energy blast that, on impact, creates a blinding flash of light and a deafening bang, stunning anyone within a certain AoE.

Energize (Evocation) - Charges a target or aura with energy. Useful for recharging objects or strengthening buffs or other magical effects.

Heal (Conjuration) - Heals damage on a target.

Felis (Conjuration) - Summons a cat, ranging from a housecat up to a bobcat. As Eva's skill improves, she'll be able to summon larger cats.

Repulsive Aura (Abjuration) - Creates a field around the recipient that renders the target's presence discomforting. Enemies are less likely to target the recipient, and everything in general will do it's best to stay away.

Telekinesis (Evocation) - Allows the caster to mentally push, pull, and/or lift a targeted object or creature. Larger and/or more complex tasks may require stamina.

Eva's brain the size of a planet enables her to prepare all of the spells in this list at once, but in session 1 she only cast Felis and Telekinesis.

Click to reveal.. (Xiriatl's spell list)
* Detect Magic - Sense the general magical properties of an item, creature or area.

* Vision - Gives a vision of a location, allowing the caster to see and hear things as if they were present. The closer the area is and the more familiar to the caster, the longer and clearer the vision will be.

* True Sight - Allows the caster to see through invisibility, illusions and similar forms of concealment.

* Locate - Gives information on the location of a person or object. The more familiar the caster already is with the target, the more specific information can be gained.

* Detect History - By touching an object or person, or being present at a location, the caster can gain glimpses of insight into the object, person or location's past.

* Portent - Offer advice regarding a person's immediate future.

* Instinct - Gives the caster subtle insight into their own immediate future, allowing them to quickly modify the manner and timing of their actions to avoid adverse outcomes. This gives a small bonus to the caster's Strength and Dexterity for their next few rolls.

Xiriatl can only prepare five of these spells at a time. In session 1, he prepared Detect Magic, Vision, True Sight, Locate, and Detect History, but only got to cast Detect Magic once.

I think it's in the thread somewhere already, but there's no harm in taking another look at Wybren's bard spells.

Click to reveal.. (Abandon, abandon, abandon, abandon the sinking ship!)
* Captivating Performance: You sing or play a song, and capture the attention of your audience. Targeted listeners who fail their saves take a minor penalty to their Perception checks as long as you continue performing. This spell can be used for benevolent or malevolent purposes; kind-hearted songsmiths use the spell to distract their listeners from dreary surroundings, while malicious songsmiths use it to distract their marks from the actions of other party members. This spell has no effect in combat.

* Battlesong: Your music inspires your comrades to feats of bravery and strength. As long as you continue performing, they receive small bonuses to their attack rolls and saves.

* Inspiring Tale: As a companion tries to complete a single task, you relate a story either from history or your own experience when another hero faced a similar problem and succeeded. If you roll high enough, your comrade receives a bonus to his or her roll. This spell has no effect in combat.

* Discordant Chant: After watching one of your opponents, you break out into a distracting chant, specifically tailored to your enemy's actions and movements, so that he or she is disoriented and finds it difficult to concentrate. If the target fails his or her save, he or she takes a penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. A new roll must be made each round, allowing the target to regain composure.

Wybren can prepare all of these at once, but only attempted a single Battlesong in session 1.

Looking back, I think I inadvertently put the party in a lot of situations that discouraged spellcasting. Eva probably held back on using her attack spells during the kraken fight for fear of friendly fire, which was probably smart. Xiriatl didn't get many chances to use his spells, although the one time he did cast one he showed why Divination is excellent. Wybren's songs all have to be heard to have an effect, so they didn't work well in a storm.

I didn't plan it out like that, but the fact that all three of these characters were still able to make themselves useful to the party shows how important it is to be well-rounded.

Originally Posted By: Mayor Krila of Riole
Why yes, I have been wearing the same hat for twenty years, and there's a perfectly good reason why. See, all new fashion starts at Eolith and spreads outward, and if times are calm it usually gets here in five years or so. Anyway, for a long time there was some brilliant haberdasher who was the spring and the autumn of hats - I think her name was Joan or something - right up until it turned out the whole thing was a cover for her vast criminal empire. Big scandal, naturally, we heard about it all the way out here. Anyway, hats have fallen out of fashion since then, but I really like how this one fits.

Wow! Xiriatl's spells rock! Those look really cool. I had been hoping someone would try to exploit the untapped power of Divination, and now I am glad Xiriatl has. I'll look forward to his further adventures. smile

And Eva...crazy. Just crazy.

Overall, I think this looks like a really interesting party. Having now read the first log, I think campaign looks exciting as well. I'm also impressed that this seems to be the LEAST dysfunctional party in the history of AIMHack. They didn't start any riots or brawls or burn down jungles or otherwise cause trouble for themselves the entire first session! Congratulations to you all! smile

Thanks for posting, Sarachim!

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Overall, I think this looks like a really interesting party. Having now read the first log, I think campaign looks exciting as well. I'm also impressed that this seems to be the LEAST dysfunctional party in the history of AIMHack. They didn't start any riots or brawls or burn down jungles or otherwise cause trouble for themselves the entire first session! Congratulations to you all! smile

I noticed this, too, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I'm glad everyone's sufficiently interested in the game to be this effective, but on the other, I miss all the bitter, sarcastic infighting that usually produces the best lines. Plus, this unheard-of competence raises the alarming possibility that I'll have to rise to the party's level, or that I'm just not giving them enough chances to fail.

But hey, if you guys enjoy doing well for some reason, I guess I can work around that. It takes all kinds. tongue

Eva's brain the size of a planet enables her to prepare all of the spells in this list at once, but in session 1 she only cast Felis and Telekinesis.

That may seem like a lot, but split three-ways, that really isn't enough spell slots. Once Conjuration and Abjuration get stronger, I'm really going to start feeling pressure to fit a wide variety of spells in there that covers all three circles.

On the casting front, she also took out a tentacle with Ball Lightning. She attempted Repulsive Aura... but I suppose you can't really count a Fumble as casting, now can you? tongue

But yeah, Telekinesis really came in handy. And I look forward to casting more of my spells on dry land. tongue

Overall, I think this looks like a really interesting party. Having now read the first log, I think campaign looks exciting as well. I'm also impressed that this seems to be the LEAST dysfunctional party in the history of AIMHack. They didn't start any riots or brawls or burn down jungles or otherwise cause trouble for themselves the entire first session!
Seconded. It was weird seeing every PC be polite and considerate, not only to the other PCs, but to NPCs as well! I think it speaks volumes about the normal state of affairs when I made politeness one of Wybren's notable characteristics. This is certainly the nicest band of itinerant sociopaths he's ever travelled with.

I noticed this, too, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I'm glad everyone's sufficiently interested in the game to be this effective, but on the other, I miss all the bitter, sarcastic infighting that usually produces the best lines.
Join us this Friday, when the sailors will try to kill the women for bringing bad luck on the ship, and the rest of the party will be split between saving them, or cooking them so they have enough food to survive!

EDIT: It's good the healer's the one with Repulsive Aura, because no cleric's gonna touch Eva while that's in effect.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
That may seem like a lot, but split three-ways, that really isn't enough spell slots. Once Conjuration and Abjuration get stronger, I'm really going to start feeling pressure to fit a wide variety of spells in there that covers all three circles.

Having played a caster last time around, I sympathize. Still, a painless restriction isn't a restriction at all.

Quote:
On the casting front, she also took out a tentacle with Ball Lightning. She attempted Repulsive Aura... but I suppose you can't really count a Fumble as casting, now can you? tongue

Oh, of course. I don't know how I forgot this, since I was pretty proud of "Eva repulses herself." tongue

Quote:
But yeah, Telekinesis really came in handy. And I look forward to casting more of my spells on dry land. tongue

I finally got around to reading the log of Brigandage's seventh session. I sort of vaguely knew it involved a ship, but hadn't realized that there was also a kraken and a wreck, so DB must have seemed pretty derivative. I hope the next few sessions will be original enough to make up for it. tongue

Personally, I LIKE it when the party gets to experience to the adventure and explore the dangers of Mote, rather than creating dangers for themselves by lying ineptly, stealing ineptly, talking ineptly, setting things on fire ineptly, and breathing ineptly. I hope I'm not the only one who gets tired of one's party shooting itself in the foot head multiple times. tongue Competence really is more fun! smile And in DB, the party and DM still managed to be witty despite not hating each other, so you get the best of all worlds. smile

Personally, I LIKE it when the party gets to experience to the adventure and explore the dangers of Mote, rather than creating dangers for themselves by lying ineptly, stealing ineptly, talking ineptly, setting things on fire ineptly, and breathing ineptly.

Please. Kurex is not inept at setting things on fire. Social skills, perhaps. But never at setting things on fire. tongue

Actually, with the setting-on-fire reference, I was thinking more about the jungle of Selos (which I know technically Zarusa set on fire, but it was, practically, an action of the party). Kurex...well, his ability to set things on fire is certainly not in doubt. His choice of targets... whistle

Personally, I LIKE it when the party gets to experience to the adventure and explore the dangers of Mote, rather than creating dangers for themselves by lying ineptly, stealing ineptly, talking ineptly, setting things on fire ineptly, and breathing ineptly. I hope I'm not the only one who gets tired of one's party shooting itself in the foot head multiple times. tongue Competence really is more fun! smile And in DB, the party and DM still managed to be witty despite not hating each other, so you get the best of all worlds. smile

There's certainly a lot to be said for all-around competence, but I think I've gotten the most fun out of the times the party created a problem for itself and then solved it in awesome fashion. The best example of this might be way back in the first Labyrinth session, when the party stupidly picked a fight with (and then proceeded to defeat) the giant octopus. What's no fun at all is when the party creates a problem it can't solve, and then just limps along until the GM finds a way to bail us out.

Of course, at the time of the original failure it's impossible to know how you'll fix it (or fail to), so trying to succeed on your first try is probably the safest bet.

There's certainly a lot to be said for all-around competence, but I think I've gotten the most fun out of the times the party created a problem for itself and then solved it in awesome fashion. The best example of this might be way back in the first Labyrinth session, when the party stupidly picked a fight with (and then proceeded to defeat) the giant octopus. What's no fun at all is when the party creates a problem it can't solve, and then just limps along until the GM finds a way to bail us out.

Ah! I can agree to that. I was mainly venting frustration with our (Selos') self-caused failures that I don't think we succeeded in solving.

Many of the various parties' various failures do remain entertaining, to be sure.

Actually, with the setting-on-fire reference, I was thinking more about the jungle of Selos (which I know technically Zarusa set on fire, but it was, practically, an action of the party). Kurex...well, his ability to set things on fire is certainly not in doubt. His choice of targets... whistle

Run, my pretty little chunks of XP! Run!

Although Kurex does strikes me as more of a Black Mage than as a Belkar...

I noticed this, too, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I'm glad everyone's sufficiently interested in the game to be this effective, but on the other, I miss all the bitter, sarcastic infighting that usually produces the best lines.

Labyrinth was sort of like this at the start, but the party grew to hate each other as the sessions progressed, which I thought really added to the state of imprisonment they were all in. Don't rule out any sarcastic infighting just yet! tongue

Also, just a FYI, I *may* be a little late (hopefully no more than about 30 minutes if we start at the same time as last week) on Friday.

Wow! Xiriatl's spells rock! Those look really cool. I had been hoping someone would try to exploit the untapped power of Divination, and now I am glad Xiriatl has. I'll look forward to his further adventures. smile

Sarachim actually left out one more spell that I cleared with him just the other day. I'm quite proud of it:

Click to reveal..
* Analyse Structure - When successfully casting this spell on an object or creature, the caster learns its material composition, its approximate internal structure, and identifies any significant flaws or weaknesses in its makeup. Magical objects and living creatures have a higher chance to resist the spell.

Thanks! I tried to make spells that would be useful in a wide range of situations, both in and out of combat. I imagine Analyse Structure being used for anything from assisting in a lockpick attempt, to working out that a bandit is most vulnerable when attacked from the left flank due to an old injury in his left leg, to (on a good roll) working out the floorplan of a house before going in.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Chitrach infestions?

There are no chitrachs on Mote. If it wasn't clear before, let me say that definitively now. No chitrachs. Anywhere. Ever. tongue

Whatever you say, Slarty.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on... you get the point
INFINITE CHITRACHES? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

hey everyone look at me i levelled up

Click to reveal..
Name: Xiriatl

Race: Lacewing

Alignment: Obsessive

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 6

HP: 9/12

Stamina: 7/10

Speed: 5

Crafting (Alchemy): 4

Martial (Sling): 3

Magic (Divination): 4

Thievery: 2

History: 1

Religion (Tanann): 1

Inventory: Sling, Rocks, Alchemical Kit, Broken Compass, Stimulant, Alchemist's Fire, Toxic Gas, Protective Oil, Stamina Potion, Healing Salve, 2x Earth Reagents, 2x Air Reagents, 2x Water Reagents

Spells:

* Detect Magic - Sense the general magical properties of an item, creature or area.

* Vision - Gives a vision of a location, allowing the caster to see and hear things as if they were present. The closer the area is and the more familiar to the caster, the longer and clearer the vision will be.

* True Sight - Allows the caster to see through invisibility, illusions and similar forms of concealment.

* Locate - Gives information on the location of a person or object. The more familiar the caster already is with the target, the more specific information can be gained.

* Detect History - By touching an object or person, or being present at a location, the caster can gain glimpses of insight into the object, person or location's past.

* Portent - Offer advice regarding a person's immediate future.

* Instinct - The caster gains a small bonus on the next few Strength and Dexterity-based rolls in exchange for a point of Stamina.

* Analyse Structure - When successfully casting this spell on an object or creature, the caster learns its material composition, its approximate internal structure, and identifies any significant flaws or weaknesses in its makeup. Magical objects and living creatures have a higher chance to resist the spell.

Click to reveal..
Name: Eric
Race: Human
Alignment: Mandatory good
Religion: Sliros

Strength: 5
Dexterity: 3
Intelligence: 3

Hit points: 18/18
Stamina: 10/10

Martial (halberd): 4
Martial (improvised thrown): 4
Religion (Sliros): 3

First aid: 2
Streetwise: 1
Stealth: 2 (+1 RB)
Perception: 2 (+1 RB)

Inventory: Chain mail, halberd, 15 gold, small knife, food and water, broken digital watch.

Dikiyoba.

*Ding!*

Click to reveal..

Leitha.

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 3

HP: 16/16 (+6)

Stamina: 10/10

(Speed: 5)

Martial (Daggers): 3 (+1)

Martial (Improvised): 3 (+1)

Thievery: 4 (+1)

Stealth: 2

Composure: 2 (+1 Racial for 3 total)

Streetwise: 1 (+1 Racial for 2 total)

Perception: 2 (+1)

Inventory:

Leather jerkin, 2 long daggers, 1 concealed dagger, Satchel.

Matchbook, 6 gold, 2 silvers, 7 coppers, a spyglass, 2 changes of clothes, a red scarf, assorted dried meat and fruit.