Really anticipated ideas for A5??

Dark Mage

I just was in Spiderweb main page, and I realized that A5 is already being planed.

The last time i got in the page it said that after G4 the company will take a rest but I see that they changed their minds...

If there is gonna be an A5 I really want it to be like the old avernum Style, not like genevernum4 style... :rolleyes:

Wow it's been long since my last post here...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all been talked over before, but Jeff really is trying to get the best of both worlds (Avernum and Geneforge) into A5, and his list looks like a good one.

—Alorael, who likes the old Avernum engine a lot. A4's engine was good enough to spark pages and pages of discussion even though the plot wasn't worth talking about. That's a good sign for the engine.

Thanks I obviously haven't seen that...

Good to see that someone remembers me...this last times have been quite qeird and now that I'm on vacation i have even less time for thinking in posting here laugh

G4 was quite cool for being Geneforge...the plot is quie more interesting...Isn't it the first game where the player beggins as a rebel??

But weel that don't belong here...

I see that Alorael still is here and haven't got short of freshly invented nicknames wink

So A5 will be based in a new area of Avernum??? wow I always wanted that...I always dreamed with that!!! eek

By Nioca:

Quote:
Yes. Jeff actually wanted to do that in GF3, but by the time he realized it, it was a bit too late to reverse it.
That was my biggest turn-off when I was considering buying the Geneforge series. The description for each game read exactly the same.

--------------------

"Did you sleep good?"

"No, I made a couple of mistakes."

- Steven Wright

I would love to explore the deeper Slith caverns. Is Bahaslavakia (can't spell it) the main Slitherizakai city or the entire cavern they live in?

Vahnatai PCs would be cool. Jeff has the graphic models for them.

Other than that, just expand the universe! More caves. More strange denizens. More crazy factions, good or evil.

Quote:
Originally written by Blake81:
Well,what do you think of the crafting idea?
Ick I loved Avernum having a lot of Items to look for, not those stupid recipes and ingredients that in fact have little or no sense, that may be cool for geneforge, but please leave Avernum as less geneforgized as possible, considering that A4 had a serious case of the geneforge-virus...

Ephesos is right, looking for swamp nodules,icy geodes,glowing basalt is only a big headache(I say a BIIIIIIIIIIG one).As far as I know G3 is more popular than G1,G2,A3 and BoA together.The crafting was the best part of G3 and I hope than in G4 too.In A4 there is ONLY ONE place for make enchanted items and ONLY TWO characters that make wands.I think that the crafting is a better option because you can create your stuff whenever you want.

I like crafting too, but I question the assertion that G3 was more popular than four other games combined. In fact, I'd be surprised if G3 were much more popular than A3 alone.

—Alorael, who doesn't even know what that false statistic contributes to the discussion. Crafting is nice. A3-style augmentation or G4-style addition and item creation are good stuff. More would be great regardless of how well other games sold.

Quote:
Well,what do you think of the crafting idea?
I say leave it in the GF series where it belongs, and bring back potion making. I miss being able to take a swig of home-brewed heroic brew (or knowledge brew, for that matter.)
Quote:
I have a BAD BAD BAD memory
Join the club. As the cliche goes, I'd forget my head if it weren't attached. How true it is some days, too.

Realy the numbers are bad?Hmm...The data must be broken or Dante(the friend mine that gave me the stadistics)is a lier.Well now than I think,he EVER was geneforge fan.

I think that the potion making is usefull too but the crafing is better,I working in a way for use crafting in BoA,is realy hard work but it will work(I hope).

Why would your friend know anything about the comparative successes of Spiderweb games? Jeff occasionally hints at the games whose sales numbers are spectacular (A4) or lackluster (Nethergate), but he's never really given solid data.

—Alorael, who is happier without alchemy. It's a skill that you can easily get by without, but having it eventually enables you to get more skill points. That's just a balance nightmare.

I have some trust in Dante.He knows the internet better than his hand palm.I must not say this at forum but he is a ``six letters word that starts with h and end in r´´ and he lives online(I hope don't make angry anyone with this).He EVER provided me of info about the games and the 93% percent of it is true.

Blake, please stop posting several times in a row like that, it's very... forget it. Nevermind. Not worth it.

I think the absence of hydras was more owing to the lack of decent graphics for them at the time of A4's release. But honestly, they would've had just the same potential to turn chitrach-y as anything.

Don't click the Add Reply button more than once and you won't get quadruple posts. I still don't see what expertise with computers and the internet have to do with knowing Spiderweb sales data, but I guess I'll let it lie.

—Alorael, who doesn't think houses for sale are especially useful. They're nice for flavor, but they don't do much when items are saved everywhere anyway. Besides, if A4 follows G4's generally liked system of encumberance for equipment only, strength will no longer be necessary for hauling loot.

I've actually thought that it would be interesting to have a game in which you can wear ten rings, but each ring can only be worn on certain fingers. When you've got one that can go on any finger of your left hand, one that can go on either thumbs or little fingers, one that can go on any finger as long as two identical rings are adjacent to it, and a pair of rings that must go on the ring fingers of both hands, what to use becomes a puzzle.

But probably not an interesting puzzle so much as a headache, which is probably why nobody does that sort of thing.

—Alorael, who also always wonders why nobody gets to wear mismatched enchanted gloves or boots. And why never earrings? Or how about getting some piercings to fit more hardware for more bonuses? No real adventure values esthetics over the chance to get +1 damage when attacking marmosets of unusually flighty disposition.

I think the amount of clever inventory management that goes on in a game like, say, Angband is complex enough without adding 8 more equipment slots. :p

(Might and Magic III actually did let you wear up to 10 rings, but your inventory space was so small that with a full complement of equipment you'd be left with no space in which to actually carry stuff.)

Inventory management in Angband isn't complicated. You just have a whole lot of slots for equipment, and once you start getting artifacts you'll have a lot of abilities to mash into each slot.

—Alorael, who thinks it's about time to start Rangband. Ten rings don't have to be just a dream! And it's not like anything else exciting is being done with with or two vanilla Angband right now.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons once explained that mix and match gloves and boots caused problems, For instance one boot of speed would cause that side of the body to move faster than the other causing instability. Same with the eyes of the eagle where it would be like a mismatched eyeglass prescription.

I did play a game where a player got the gamemaster to allow him to use 10 +3 rings of protection at once with cumulative effects. Great armor class, so he got hit by spells all the time.

Quote:
Originally written by Decalorael:
Inventory management in Angband isn't complicated. You just have a whole lot of slots for equipment, and once you start getting artifacts you'll have a lot of abilities to mash into each slot.
Well, it's the mashing that's the complicated part, now isn't it? In a typical game my home very quickly filled with gear to swap in and out so I could optimise my AC and damage while still keeping at least the minimal necessary set of resistances.

(Also, on the subject of rings, I think there are some Angband variants such as ToME which let you wear more than the usual number of rings when polymorphed into a different form, at the price of not having all of your normal equipment slots.)

ToME does very strange things to inventory, but it does strange things to just about all aspects of Angband. I have a healthy respect for it, but I mostly play Vanilla. It's a slightly more thought-intensive version of Tetris, really, and I don't want to have to think about character optimization with a complicated skill system.

—Alorael, who also fills his home with clutter. It's not usually hard to decide what to wear and carry, though. Some mods are essential, some are extremely helpful, and some are gravy. By the time you have the essentials covered, it's usually clear which extremely helpfuls fit. Then you probably end up with the odd feather fall or slow digestion because Angband is like that.

Logic has nothing to do with it; RPG rules are only concerned with game balance, sometimes to humourous effect. Consider a fifty-pound boulder thrown at a two and a half foot tall gnome wearing full plate armour. Boing!

--------------------

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

- Steven Wright

Quote:
Originally written by Dark Mage
And I remembered something: what happened with those cool Mind-crystals?? They were like canisters in some way...I hope that those crystal appear in A5...
I was making the same question...What happented with the mind crystals?They don't appear in A4 and BoA.

Quote:
I was making the same question...What happented with the mind crystals?They don't appear in A4 and BoA.
I could swear that there were some mind crystal things in A4. They weren't items, though... they were just crystal terrains that taught you things.

As for BoA... nobody's deemed them worth recreating yet. That, and most scenarios' settings don't work well with mind crystals. Bahss, Exodus, bits of E:R, and the Za-Khazi Run are the first exceptions to leap to mind.