GF2 Party Member Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
torchkeeper torchkeeper

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,781
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:06 AM #1 GF2 Party Member Question

I finished Geneforge 1 as a shaper, using only three creations with me, since they apparently split the XP with the PC, and was thinking of going the same route with Geneforge 2. I currently use two creations with me and am currently in the Magus Complex. I've met Xander who is willing to join the party. Do joinable party members count towards the XP split as well? Also, he's at level 18 when he joins, while my character is only level 16 at the moment. So I'm wondering if it will affect how much XP I gain as well.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll stick with three creations once I get enough essence, since I prefer being able to control my party's actions in combat, but if joinable party members don't affect XP, or at least don't cost any more than using a creation, it might be a worthwhile trade-off.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:14 AM #2 GF2 Party Member Question

The joinable party members are usually only around for a few zones so it doesn't really matter. Even using more creations while lowering your level does mean more firepower and increased survivability. In the long run it only means two or at most three levels over the entire game. Shapers work best with lots of creations.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It just gets in the way. :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

wackypanda wackypanda

Soldier

• Member ID: 8,460
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:30 PM #3 GF2 Party Member Question

In G2, joinable party members past the Secret Tunnel can be kept around for the entire game if they don't suicide themselves. It's the later games where they come and go. :p

Do creations (and party members) with a higher level than the PC gain experience based on the PC's level, or their own?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:42 AM #4 GF2 Party Member Question

View Postwackypanda, on 17 March 2017 - 11:30 PM, said:

In G2, joinable party members past the Secret Tunnel can be kept around for the entire game if they don't suicide themselves. It's the later games where they come and go. :p

Do creations (and party members) with a higher level than the PC gain experience based on the PC's level, or their own?

Creations and allies always gain experience in lockstep with the player character, regardless of their relative levels. If you gain 25 XP, all your creations gain 25 XP.

torchkeeper torchkeeper

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,781
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:01 PM #5 GF2 Party Member Question

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with 3 creations for now then so I don't lose too much XP.

What about Geneforge 3. Worth having NPCs join the party as a shaper or should I stick to creations? Basically want to know if NPCs and creations have anything clearly going in favor of them, or if it's just down to personal preference.

Edit: Didn't even realize that it's alread been 10 days since I created this topic.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:48 PM #6 GF2 Party Member Question

GF3 NPCs are better in that they have decent attacks and you get them early. Just past the halfway point in the game you are going to lose one anyway because of ideology.

Some creations are better and can be gotten early if you rush to get there. Vlish make great helpers.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:01 PM #7 GF2 Party Member Question

G3 doesn't have nearly as many NPCs as G2 did. There are just two main ones. As Randomizer said, about two thirds of the way through the game, one of those will definitely leave you no matter what. Although you can take whichever one stays with you all the way through the game, they are vastly weaker than creations. Creations in G3 - Vlish specifically - are quite strong and you'll get way more power of regular creations than either of the two NPCs. You can tote the NPC along if you want to (and there's occasionally interesting dialogue associated with them), but from a strict powergaming / optimization standpoint, they aren't worthwhile.

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:52 PM #8 GF2 Party Member Question

They don't need essence to use.  :)

Gameman112358 Gameman112358

Mercenary

• Member ID: 18,737
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:10 PM #9 GF2 Party Member Question

And they get stat boosts for free once they level up (Those two extra skill points you get to spend for a creation each time they level up don't cost essence). You can't level up creations the same way you can with NPCs, simply because it takes a bunch of essence to do so, so joinable NPCs still got their uses. And GF3's joinable NPCs are better than most of the other ones; they've got their own dialogue, and they have upgrades for each one, meaning they can scale relatively well in the late game (Though one of them really needs to have a ranged attack added in to be worth it; one of them can spray Essence Orbs everywhere late game, the other... gets a sword that can inflict acid damage. Wooooooo. So exciting... /s).

I do wish I knew the exact way Jeff was able to give NPC companions upgrades to their abilities, but I found workarounds to do that for later games. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users