• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic
Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:41 PM #71 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostFoumantoo, on 26 February 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Hi Lilith,
One last time I want your opinion on Sage Lore, Vahanatai Lore vs. Arcane Lore. I have restarted on Hard and am able to try different things with some testing of course, but testing stuff through the editor is really not a fun immersive experience.
13 Arcane Lore for all spells and Resistance buff?
3/4 people taking Sage Lore with 2 Arcane Lore for basic requirement in beginning of game for Ritual ( or whatever) Spell?

I would say both of those are reasonable options, and you can make your own choice between them based on personal preference -- basically, decide how much it would bug you to miss out on some stuff and act accordingly.

If going with the 13, at which point do I really need to go past the beginning 2 points?

You'll want 5 points before you get on the boat at the end of chapter 1, and you probably want to get to 13 by around the start of chapter 4 if not sooner. (The game throws up great big honkin' chapter title messages at the start of every chapter so you know which one you're in.)

I am having tough battles early here and wondering if I should be putting more initial points in defensive (Hardiness,Resistance etc). Maybe taking points after the early"demo" area? Or does the extra few defensive points for melee fighter and mage/priest spell points really matter in making early fights a little less ass kicking?

As a general rule, throwing as many points as you can into Hardiness is almost never a bad idea. Parry's not bad either.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• Member ID: 18,762
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:08 AM #72 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Hi Lilith-How do you rate the following spells for later in the game? I saw you weren't super impressed with Acid Spray in a post
Acid Spray
Blink
Cloak of Blades
Ward of Steel

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:58 AM #73 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Acid Spray doesn't do enough damage per round to high level monsters compared to early game monsters that can be killed in two rounds.

Blink is random location that can make it worse in a crowded fight.

Cloak of Blades is useful when most attacks are melee, but in the last half of the game you are usually using spells to hit multiple targets.

Ward of Steel depends upon attacking monsters where you are defending against weapons where it's great or spells.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

xuerebx xuerebx

Mercenary

• Member ID: 8,790
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:53 AM #74 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Spoiler

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:25 AM #75 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View Postxuerebx, on 28 February 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Spoiler
You gain trait - Vahnatai Knowledge if you already have Vahnatai Lore.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

xuerebx xuerebx

Mercenary

• Member ID: 8,790
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:14 PM #76 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Ah - didn't see it. Thanks!

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:04 PM #77 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostFoumantoo, on 28 February 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Hi Lilith-How do you rate the following spells for later in the game? I saw you weren't super impressed with Acid Spray in a post

I use Blink occasionally for getting into position to use a spell with a cone-shaped area of effect. I suppose you could also use it to escape from a losing battle. It's not so much a bad spell as a spell with niche application.

As for the others, I second what Randomizer said in the post below yours. I'm not the only person on these forums who can ever give good advice, even if I like to think so.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:00 PM #78 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

What is the +4 Resistance people talk about when you get 13 Arcane Lore? I don't see it.....

Found it.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:56 AM #79 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Not sure what is a better "bang for buck" with Human Dual Wield Fighter in the Combat tree.-more points in Lethal Blow or Dual wield. I am sorta split evenly atm...

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:17 AM #80 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Dual Wielding gives you both increased to hit and increased damage (reducing the penalties) whereas Lethal Blow gives you a slightly better chance of extra damage.

from the Slartyanalysis of Lethal Blow:
"2. If you DO get a check, you receive a bonus of 5% (as stated in docs) plus 0.5% per experience level, in addition to the chances from items (longbows, spears) or skills.:

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:12 AM #81 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostRandomizer, on 24 March 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Dual Wielding gives you both increased to hit and increased damage (reducing the penalties) whereas Lethal Blow gives you a slightly better chance of extra damage.

from the Slartyanalysis of Lethal Blow:
"2. If you DO get a check, you receive a bonus of 5% (as stated in docs) plus 0.5% per experience level, in addition to the chances from items (longbows, spears) or skills.:

Thanks-which one do you think is more valuable? Chance of crits or chance of extra damage?

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:17 AM #82 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

You probably actually get a better value from putting extra points into basic melee skill.  The value of DW and LB is relatively similar, but both have the drawback that you have to waste points in QA.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:23 PM #83 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

I have 10+2 in Melee. I don't believe I can get it higher without some special item right? So....I got the points to spend

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:52 PM #84 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

You can go beyond 10 in the four base weapon skills (just like you can with priest and mage spells).
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:16 AM #85 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Sheesh I didn't know that!  I don't know why I thought that...
Thanks

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:19 AM #86 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Demon of Good Taste
I Know this is a spoiler request  "of course" but did you ever post a list of your reputation gains from 2 years ago? I saw a post February 2015.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:29 AM #87 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Regarding Cave Lore-I'm almost done with Hard playthrough, and I put points in CL to see what I got for it the first time through. Needless to say the rewards weren't very compelling. My question is, does having a higher CL give you more opportunities to fight/pass on World Map encounters?

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:05 AM #88 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

It is supposed to, and I have the impression that it does, but I am not sure how much it has been tested.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:56 AM #89 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Need a spoiler-I am trying to get the Lvl 3's on Divine Host and Arcane Blow in the Castle, I have AL 13 VL 4 and have entered Garzahd's Area to the point I can return and go back and forth to it. I see the requirement chart says "Garzahd" as a requirement. What exactly does that mean? Do I need to defeat him first? That wouldn't make a ton of sense as game would be over at that point. I'm confused.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:01 AM #90 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

There are 3 different game-winning quests.  Defeating Garzahd is only one of them, and not everyone completes them in the same order.  You may have noticed each game-winning quest has a pair of spells as part of the reward.

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:48 AM #91 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

even if you have finished all 3 major quests you can still continue playing and finish open minor quests or just wander around and killing random encounters.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:58 PM #92 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostPliant Giant, on 26 March 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

There are 3 different game-winning quests.  Defeating Garzahd is only one of them, and not everyone completes them in the same order.  You may have noticed each game-winning quest has a pair of spells as part of the reward.
I see now that that is true. For some reason I forgot that-so I guess I already won the game a couple times lol.

Thanks

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Mercenary

• 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:00 PM #93 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

BTW-has anyone ever made a reputation chart for this game? I know Randomizer has a list of everything but I was looking for a condensed version for my next play through. I know Slartifer has a 2 year old post that he was going to post one but I didn't see it when searching.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users