SAVE FILE TRANSFER-POSSIBLE???

mad

I am befuddled again, noble Spiderweb fans, and I know you all know the answer I seek. Alas, I do not yet, so please tell...

can I transfer my save file to another machine? If so, I am ever so happy. If nay, then ye old **** my ass. I thought it would be ever so simple... sigh...Maybe I'll try a Service who loves the Shapers this time around...

Truly hoping he doesn't have to start over again,

the Eternal Adventurer

In all of Jeff's previous games I know it was possible to do so. I have a Windows, so I do not know exactly what the file setup is like for Geneforge 4, but I can tell you to try to look for anything that might look like a save file or folder inside the main Geneforge 4 program folder.

Failing that, you can just copy the program to your new computer. I'm positive that should allow you to pick up from where you left off.

EDIT: *i, are you sure that the save files are not interchangeable between the two platforms? I always thought that since the game interprets those files with its own format, it did not depend on the operating system.

Quote:
Originally written by Garrison:
EDIT: *i, are you sure that the save files are not interchangeable between the two platforms? I always thought that since the game interprets those files with its own format, it did not depend on the operating system.
We're sure. We speak from painful experience.

well on modern computers paricy law is abdated so you can't by the program's design transfer a file with memorie of a game to another : I meant that computers where disgned by exelence to not copy files from another computer exept some files like music and images.

I know that transfering files from a computer to another caused me problems .

Quote:
Originally written by upon mars:
well on modern computers paricy law is abdated so you can't by the program's design transfer a file with memorie of a game to another : I meant that computers where disgned by exelence to not copy files from another computer exept some files like music and images.
I know that transfering files from a computer to another caused me problems .
This is completely untrue and nonsensical.

For Mac files just look inside the Geneforge Files folder for Save0 to Save19 folders and copy as many of them as you want or need to a new game on another computer to replace the ones generated when you install the game. They will then appear when you start a game on the new computer as saved games that you can load.

I did this a lot during beta testing to transfer the last saved game in one beta to the next one.

upon mars - file transferring between computers depends upon whether the file has a restriction against copying. Saved game files have no such restriction.

Wow. This has definitely become a lively knightly.

It seems, Randomizer, that yours must be the answer. But like my possibly-out-of-reality friend "Mars," I cannot get the transfer to work. I must still be doing something wrong.

But if you really want to help...

What this is all about is my refusal to sacrifice "Demonicus," my cryoa/roamer/vlish-loving rebel crafter. (Oh Demonicus! Tis for you I type this!) He really needs to transmigrate from my registered copy on my family's g5 mac pro dual intel to my intel imac running my CD copy of G4. Plus it's like 200 miles, but we might not need that variable...yet.

I see that there are multiple files in each Save file, and I tried copying Demonicus' multiple files from his old Save0 over into his new Save0, but for some reason I can't seem to get it to work...alpha cuss word!

Now I'm down at the radiostation, broadcasting all over kcsb.org

sigh

We cwould have RULED Terrestia, Demonicus!...

--End transmission--

Copying the entire file (folder) Save0 will inculde the 4 folders within it. It's easier to use the copy command on the Save0 rather than do it for each separate file.

Since the computers are so far apart you could archive Save0 and email it, then unarchive and copy to replace Save0 on the second computer (or copy to a flash drive). Even the archived version of the folder can reach 350 kB. You know that you are copying the old Save0 to the right place when you get a dialog box from the computer asking are you sure you want to replace an existing file. Otherwise you might have placed the file in the wrong spot. I did that once with another file.