Which kind of spells do you like.

With strong Battle Magic, I find that Ice Spray and Kill are the two spells I use the great majority of the time, unless I need something less punchy than Ice Spray to finish something off, in which case I use Fireball or Searer. Kill is more powerful than Lightning Aura, which I rarely find worthwhile, as it just leaves your opponent alive longer to do some real damage to you. Essence Orbs are nice for multiple targets all prey to Magic Damage, but I still find myself using them infrequently. I usually would rather completely destroy a foe I have quite possibly already Dazed anyway, than wake up and piss off three at once, none of which are likely to die that turn.

-S-

P.S. This poll would have done well to have permitted more than one choice selection. I utilize all spell categories significantly in certain builds. I most enjoy select Battle Magic and Mental Magic.

I tend to play conservative with resources, so I rely on combat support spells most. You get a lot more mileage for your mana by boosting yourself and jumping into the fray than unleashing your biggest guns. With high enough battle magic and spellcrafting, firebolt remains a reliable missile weapon to the end, and I still use it to taunt someone into melee range, or finish someone off while getting into position to face off another. I'll save the heavy magic response for when I need to soften up targets quickly, but I get more satisfaction out of using a charm or madness to tear apart groups from the inside.

Even though I enjoy controlling creations, I also like to destroy my enemies myself, and I like to do it quickly. So battle spells. Aura of flames being the best, naturally. I don't think I've ever even used a single blessing spell. I'll heal if for some reason I'm not cheating. I'll use mental magic only as a novelty.