Geneforge 5 -- doesn't recognize my keyboard suddenly

wearywanderer

I've been playing the demo for a couple days. Now, all of a sudden, when I open the game it doesn't recognize my keyboard -- no typed orders register, I can't name a saved game, etc. This post is proof the keyboard itself does work. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Mac Mini, last-generation white-key on white plastic/lucite mac keyboard, leopard, if any of this matters.

Some people have had similar problems with other games. This describes the issue ... let me know if this helps.

Incompatibility With Quicken Scheduler

Users of Quicken Scheduler for the Macintosh have had problems with this game not recognizing the keyboard on some Macintoshes running OS X. Alas, Quicken Scheduler takes full control of the keyboard it is running and doesn't return control when a new program (like Avernum 5) tries to run. This program causes problems with the keyboard in a number of applications. Alas, our games number among them.

As the bug is in a different program's software, there is little we can do to remedy the problem. If you rely on the keyboard when playing, we recommend disabling Quicken Scheduler during your play sessions.

- Jeff Vogel

This isn't an issue with GF5 - I think it's likely an OS issue of some sort. I've had intermittent keyboard failures in GF4 and A5...as well as Halo, Wingnuts 2, Active Lancer, and Airburst Extreme, to name a few. I read once when trying to resolve my keyboard issues in Halo that it might be tied to some issues with QuickTime, but I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...

I did a quick web search, and it seems as if actually removing or renaming the scheduler itself breaks quicken. But the quicken scheduler seizes resources which other applications need to function properly (ie, the keyboard.)

The best advice I've found is simply not to schedule any updates or reminders in quicken until Intuit fixes their software. Presumably, Intuit *will* fix the problem in a future release, because they're wreaking havoc on lots of apps, including Apple ones.