Avernum 2 Arrow Key Problem

circle_squared

I'm playing Avernum 2 version 1.0 on a computer running Windows XP Home Edition 2002, service pack 2, on a Sony VAIO computer, Intel ® Pentium ® M Processor, 1.73 GHz, and 1.99 GB of RAM. (sorry for all the information- I'm not that computer savy so I wasn't sure what you needed to know and just typed everything on the System Properties General Tab)

Anyway, the problem is that when I use the arrow keys, instead of going North, South, East or West as shown by the directional arrows in the corners of the screen, I go directly up, down, left, and right, which makes the characters move in annoying diagonals with respect to the game world.

I can't really use the arrow keys to move anywhere because the world is formatted in the other directions. I can still play using the mouse, but I really liked being able to play this game almost entirely with the keyboard. Avernum 1 and 3 works perfectly fine.

Since there's nothing else wrong with the game, I'm inclined to believe that there's probably some option I have to click in the computer control panel somewhere that fixes how programs read the keys or something, but again, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I guess that means my problem is that my keyboard isn't configured to the diagonal keys. The arrow Keys translate to northwest, northeast, southwest, and southeast instead of going N,S,E, or W. It's going up, down, left, or right in my perspective, not the characters on screen.

So how do I configure the keyboard to move in the character's perspective rather than mine?