gate past the black wight

Khyryk Eye

It is possible to take the long way around the room, and run behind the wight to hit the switch to the secret passage to the crypt you can see behind the gate. The highly unpleasant wight will probably haste or move before attacking you, giving you a chance to run through. It's not easy, but it's possible. It's also well worth it if you are prepared for more tactics above to secure the best sword in the early game, which is well worth it if you are running a melee fighter.

-S-

Still, it's a significantly better sword than you'll have for quite a while, even though it is "just a waveblade." I found it well worth the effort to secure about 2/3 through chapter one. The only problem is that melee always feels weak, if you have a pole fighter alongside. No sword can resolve that.

-S-

Laki - I used a melee fighter in my party of four on normal and found him quite adequate. He was my front man, and didn't die as often as my slith. The flaming sword is pretty cool, and there are a couple others worth carrying around and swapping out. If you like melee, unless you're playing a torment game trying to min-max everyone, have a melee fighter, and enjoy it. You'll do fine. Consider it a bit of extra challenge thrown in.

-S-