Confused with special skills

tindrli

ok.. first of all hi to everybody.... just strated to play the game and im little bit confused...i started to play and i would like to invest points to gain those Special skills but now im confused..

I know that this is not first Topic regardless SPECIAL SKILLS but please help me resolve mine:

in this topic SPECIAL SKILLS

i saw lets say example ANATOMY and the topic says:

Quote:
Anatomy : 6 Intelligence - 8 Melee or Pole
and in the walkthrough that i found on internet it says:

Quote:
Anatomy (Anat): 4 Intelligence (starts to cost 7) + 8 Melee or Pole

(starts to cost 8): Gives a bonus to your first aid recovery, and gives a

damage bonus when fighting against humanoids. This skill is a whole lot

cheaper than it has been in previous Avernum games, and is worthwhile for

fighters and/or priests. Buy points in this skill first though. This skill

is a prerequisite for Lethal Blow.

so it obvius that the forum topic and the walkthrough dont say the same stuff... anyway my problem is: Lastnight i noticed that MY INGAME fighter gained that specific skill but his stats are not EVEN NEAR compared with above mentioned forum topic or Walkthorugh that i found, and his stats are :

HUMAN FIGHTER:

INTELIGENCE 2 COST 6 to upgrade

MELEE WEAPONS 4 COST 6 to upgrade

POLE WEAPONS 3 COST 5 TO upgrade

so AM I DOOING something wrong???? what are the true prerequisites for speciall skills????

pls help and thanx in advance

tindrli

Certain items in their description mention that they give special skills. Control-click on an item to get the full description. This is probably what happened to your character.

Most special skills aren't worth the cost in skill points. Blades of Avernum where characters can be carried over from scenario to scenario make it really worthwhile.

For most characters the best special skills to train for are:

Fighters - Parry - Dexterity 6 and Defense 6 since this gives you a 3% chance per level not to be hit. After a few levels this really can make a difference. Also you get it from the Elite Warrior trait every 6th level and at the start.

Spellcasters - Magery - Intelligence 8 and Mage or Priest spells 6 increases your damage with all spells. You can get this from Divine Touch trait.

Note that you have to get these levels with actual skill points since levels from items, races and traits don't count.

To clarify slightly, you can have special skills at any level either as temporary bonuses from the equipment you're using or permanently if you buy the skills from the trainers who sell skills for money. You can't further train special skills using skill points, however, until you meet the prerequisites, and you have to meet them with skills you've spent skill points on, not bonuses from equipment, bonuses from race or traits, or probably the handful of entire-party skill boosts.

—Aloraell, who chalks disagreeing skill descriptions up to the fact that this is the internet and therefore inherently unreliable. Live with it or live without it.