nature lore and treasure hunting

xerex

Currently, when I see a little gravel pit, I go click on it. If I don't have enough nature lore, I increase nature lore on somebody by 1 and try again...and so forth until I get my loot. This seems somewhat silly to me. If I don't have enough nature lore to find something, I shouldn't know its there!.

I was wondering what you guys would think of making the places where you find nature lore treasure invisible if you don't have enough nature lore to find them. For example...make a tree a container, but make it only clickable if your party has X nature lore.

Or make herbs that are lying on the ground only visible with enough nature lore..or magic mushrooms.

Make some random rock clickable if you have enough nature lore and let you find something under it.

Anyway..it just seems silly that nature lore treasure is always sitting in a little mound of gravel that I can see without any nature lore, but I can't actually get the treasure unless I have enough.

If you have a lot of nature lore, the game might even give you clues that there is some treasure about like foot prints or unusual fungal growth. It just seems that the nature lore aspect of the game is a "do you want more treasure for some skill points?" question rather than an interesting roleplaying aspect of the game.

I know...I know...If I want to change so much about the game, why do I play it? I don't know why, but every game I play, I end up wanting to mod it. I don't suppose spiderweb will release any modding tools for the game huh?

I don't think your suggestion is a bad one, but remember that Jeff basically caters first and foremost to the casual players who make up most of his customers, not people like you or me who want a harder difficulty setting than Torment.

Quote:
Originally written by xerex:

I know...I know...If I want to change so much about the game, why do I play it? I don't know why, but every game I play, I end up wanting to mod it. I don't suppose spiderweb will release any modding tools for the game huh?

It was hard enough getting Jeff to make Blades of Avernum, and that was a commercial flop. So the answer is probably no.

Quote:
Originally written by xerex:
What Thuryl said, but with one addition. If you like the modding stuff and don't mind a slightly less shiny engine, you should try out Blades of Avernum, because then you can invent whatever kind of nature lore system you like. Oh, and it's just generally awesome.

Its not the graphics that make me want to avoid blades of avernum. I don't give a crap about graphics and I never will. For me, games are all about storyline, mechanics, and immersion. Its the interface and usability that turn me off. I never got any of the first 3 avernums for myself because the interface was too clunky. Avernum 4 (and probably the geneforge games (though I haven't played them)) got the interface and usability up to an acceptable level for me.

As I understand it, blades of avernum was based on the same engine as the first 3 avernums. If I am mistaken, I will check it out, but if that is the case, I would much prefer to be able to poke around inside avernum 4.