A question to ponder

hmmm.... good point.

Although, if you look at the images, the golems look mostly like rock to me, and it's not until your spell splashes acid all over them that they'll start taking damge.... on the other hand, maybe acid air doesn't bother them. They do, after all, work in a place that even when working properly, is gonna have some acidy problems.

They must have been made acid-air resistant. But the shapers who made them didn't bother to make the insides resistant b/c the golems should never have encountered enough acid that it would get into their joints/insides/etc.

Note that they always go back to those platforms of theirs after a few turns or so. They are CONSTANTLY recharging. Perhaps it heals them, like our spells do to us.

Anyway, That's MY theory. They DO get affected, but tehy just constantly heal themselves using those recharge platform things.

- Archmagus Micael

I like the combined ideas of the fact that they stay away form the acid pools, there may be Golems designed with a slight resistance to acid, the platforms may heal them, and breathing of toxic vapors in generally more harmful than the air touching the skin (which for Golems seems to be only somewhat permeable.)

Quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:
I like the combined ideas of the fact that they stay away form the acid pools, there may be Golems designed with a slight resistance to acid, the platforms may heal them, and breathing of toxic vapors in generally more harmful than the air touching the skin (which for Golems seems to be only somewhat permeable.)
Well. I suppose.

But I still prefer my idea, even if yours makes much more sense :p

- Archmagus Micael

Quote:
Originally written by Walter:
Ok, how about this question: on the loading screen with drayk info, it says they used a base material of a heavily modified fyora. Also, it indicates the wings are vestigal. Now how can a creature have vestigal wings if its ancestor had no wings at all?
There are different types of drayks. The drayk that appears on the loading screen is "conjecturally, type 25" - which I assume is the type you're able to make in game.

As for the whole vestigial wing thingie, the very early versions of the fyora might have had wings. There is little doubt that they have been modified at least several dozen times from their archetypal progenitor.

The wings might have been removed intentionally after the drayks rebelled. The shapers probably figured that, since fyoras go rogue at a drop of a hat, you don't want them to go fly away. You want them easy to hunt down and slay.

Interesting, I would never have considered that fyoras might have had wings way back whenever drayks were first modified from them (or maybe alternately combat modifications made them too heavy to fly so they removed the wings which were then useless, but never got around to doing so for drayks). Anyway, I was just thinking whatever happened to the living boats that your character was said to have been riding before being attacked in Geneforge 1 (said to be a specially modified drayk)? Why does Rahul mention that he is giving you one of his last sea worthy craft if they can just shape more boats?

Quote:
Originally written by Walter:
... Now how can a creature have vestigal wings if its ancestor had no wings at all?
By crossing a fyora with a butterfly? :p

About the boats, they'd have to be similar to Golems (part machines part living creatures) to avoid the need for constant shaper control. (Since you start Gf1 as a simple apprentice, presumably you wouldn't be able to "control" a large and powerful creature the size of a boat, unless it was mostly mechanical.) So while they might be able to quickly shape living components of a boat, they'd have to spend a lot of time working on mechanical parts.

Quote:
Originally written by Ghaldrings_doom:
The wings are to small in comparison to the body to be able to lift the body up.(same with the Drakon)
Ah, but wait - aren't the drakons able to fly? Look at the end of Geneforge 3, and 2 for that matter. The drakons are flying around and burning things. They can fly.

Oh, and the golms don't die in the purification plant because Jeff didn't want you to be able to stand still and just wait for them to die in the atmosphere. Which would happen...