Floating terrain?

Groovejet

I don't know how to express this, but I would like to know if there is a way to create a floating terrain.

What I am trying to say is this. Imagine I have to spots that have a height of 10 but they are separated by a terrain of height 7. Is there a way to put a bridge between them and leaving the terrain on height 7? Like if it were true 3D?

I hope I have not confused you frown

The best way I can see this is by giving your town a transparent cliff type, raising the bridge a LOT, and then using mountain walls where the cliff would be- have them be of extraordinary height (say, 10) and then hope the party doesn't see the black strip in the water.

It's still messy, but worth a try.

Quote:
Originally written by Father Heneras:
Hunh. Is that using the way I suggested? 'Cause that actually looks pretty good.
The second one? Nah.

Here are the terrains/floor details:
Code:
 //Extra Tall Cliffs to hide lack of Cliffsbegindefineterrain 451;	clear;	te_which_sheet = 530;	te_which_icon = 1;	te_ed_which_sheet = 681;	te_ed_which_icon = 59;	te_second_icon = 0;	te_icon_offset_x = -118;	te_icon_offset_y = 46;	te_second_icon_offset_x = -118;	te_second_icon_offset_y = -5;//Floatingbegindefineterrain 358;	clear;	import = 165;	te_which_sheet = 531;	te_which_icon = 0;	te_suppress_floor = 0;	te_icon_offset_y = -82;	te_height_adj_pixels = 92;begindefinefloor 142;	clear;	fl_name = "Water";	fl_which_sheet = 702;	fl_ed_which_sheet = 680;	fl_is_water = 1;	fl_fly_over = 1;	fl_out_fight_town_used = 1007;	fl_shimmers = 2;	fl_which_icon = 4;	fl_ed_which_icon = 24;	fl_floor_height_pixels = -92; 
EDIT:

There are various issues when doing it my way. I've yet to try transparent graphics. I'm not sure BoA will handle them very well.

One thing I'm going to try is to make a few walls, without a cutaway view, or an emtpy cutaway.

My way:
InGameClue.jpg
3dClue.jpg
2DClue.jpg

Wow. Interesting. Those grid lines for the spaces where the bridge is, though... I think it would be appropriate for me to change the 3D editor to display them not adjusted by fl_floor_height_pixels. Then they would match where you click to edit them. Or I could change where you click to edit them, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

One of my problems is how BoA draw grahpics.

1) If the terrain difference does not exist: don't draw cliffs.

No way around except to use auxiallary graphics (see the 3 floor looking icons on the water?)

2) Sometimes graphics will "shine through" another graphics. Something about how it knows when Graphic A should cover Graphic B. I've yet to figure all the rules, but it annoying at times.

The south corner is an example. If I use walls, the water shines through, so I use darkness. Like I said earlier, I'm going to try a blank cutaway view.

EDIT:

Blank Cutaway...

bestClue.jpg

Quote:
Originally written by Dahak:
2) Sometimes graphics will "shine through" another graphics. Something about how it knows when Graphic A should cover Graphic B. I've yet to figure all the rules, but it annoying at times.
It draws the spaces in this order:
(x,y pairs)

0,0; 0,1; 0,2... 0,47 (or whatever the edge of your town is); 1,0; 1,1; 1,2... 0,47; 2,0; 2,1; 2,2... 0,47......

Essentially it starts at x=0 and goes through all the y's, starting at 0, then it goes on to the next x-position and does the same thing, until it's finished.

The order it draws things in that are all on the same space is more complicated, but I could try to explain that if necessary.