unidentified items?

bigblue

i made custom items with my own graphics and want them to be unidentified, so that you have to go to the shop for identification.

my script looks like this:

begindefineitem 446;

it_name = "gem";

it_full_name = "Amethyst";

it_value = 50;

it_variety = 21;

it_floor_which_sheet = 518;

it_floor_which_icon = 0;

it_icon_adjust = 0;

it_inventory_icon = 1;

it_weight = 10;

it_identified = 0;

it_charges = 1;

but they are identified, when the party looks at them. the game tells me "item lore identified some items". is there a way to make my items be unidentified 'til the party goes to a shop for identification?

The difficulty of identifying an item seems to be based on its value, or possibly some kind of value-to-weight ratio. Make it more valuable and it'll be harder to identify. You could also try making it lighter and see if that helps; I have a strong suspicion it at least has some effect. You can't make an item unidentifiable, though.

Curses are a good thing.

No, really, listen.

Imagine a uber-powerful sword, that's cursed. Imagine that it gives an advantage over a boss, or baddie. Now imagine that if you use it, you get cursed. Is it worth using it and saving others, or being stuck until you find a healer (which not all towns have)?

That kind of thing makes for a good scenario. It's similar to Drakey's article about good items. Throw in a few other twists, like you can only use it on one character, and once it's used your health starts draining, and it'll really make the player think.