Sudden discovery in A3

while playing A3 i sold pachtar's plate mail to a guy in remerton. after returning to sell him some more stuffs, i found out that pachtar's plate mail was on sale with no price tags. when i clicked on it once, my cash balance went to -34047 ish. but, clicking it twice gave me a cash balance of 30000+

I wisely invested the money and got experience from Zang. well, people who wants to see this themselves should try it too. i AM not sure how this thing works, though. :p

The guy in Remerton (that isn't the name of a town in A3, though, is it?) must be an infinite reseller. Sell anything to him and you can buy it back many times.

I guess the high price tag causes a glitch where it will let you buy it even if you can't afford it. Seems strange, but that's all I can think of. Then the integer variable limit (±32757) makes your total wealth do odd things as the numbers wrap around. It happens frequently in E3 at least.

—Alorael, who doesn't see how that could result in a wealth of -34047, which is outside INT range. Maybe you misremember or maybe it's something else entirely.

Possibly, but E3 caps at 30000 and discards any excess. I figured A3 was given a much larger buffer because of all the negative money fun.

—Alorael, who is no expert with C++, which may not even be the language used to code A3. But there isn't any numeric variable smaller than an int and still large enough to hold a value of 15000, is there?

sorry, the place is Bremerton. hey, I found out that adding to that money makes it go down to 15000. If I buy experience from zang, however, the value remains the same. the glitch however can also happen with the black halbeard. I eventually made up 6 more levels (thanx to zang)and also kitted all my teammates in Pachtar's plate mail winklaugh

• 2 weeks later...

as per C/C++, 'int' is defined to be "up to the compiler author but at least 2^32". short is similar with a 2^16 minimum (+32767 to -32768 for signed short). many modern compilers just treat short as equal to int, though, and make both 2^32. 'long' is always 2^64.

However, as Kelandon said, I don't think any of that is relevant to the gold limit. I think JV just pulled a number out of his... well, anyway. there you go.