The Rakshasa

Bandits II. (And, to a lesser extent, Mad Ambition.)

Their culture? Well, the only ones you'll find on Ermarian are the evil, banditry-practicing types, since they were booted off of the planet by a ginormous demigod-dragon millenia ago. They now have a utopian system in a cave-dimension somewhat like Exile but more hostile. They have an intensely long history I won't bother writing down.

rakshasa in the wiki seems to me very generalised... if seen the proper way, rakshas existed simultaneously with Gods and had the same amount, if not more than the lesser Gods in Hinduism. many rakshasas were avid God-devoted creatures... Ravana being one of them. They gained power by sheer will and long, really long hours of devout praying to the Trinity of Hindu Gods... i.e. Shiva, Bramha, and Vishnu. Though Vishnu rarely granted any boon to any rakshasa, the other two did give rewards that made rakshasas powerful. however, power can corrupt, and the rakshasas soon became powerful enough to destroy heaven(Indraprastha). however, in the end the interference of Shakti (power) in the form of Goddesses helped to bring the rakshasas to heel. Later the idea of rakshasas were corrupted to give the sense of evil. Yet,still in Hindu astrology, people belonging to Rakshasa 'gana'(race) are considered noble, powerful and strong, despite their lack of focus in life oftentimes. Well, there's something about rakshasas...

P.S. The wicki hails bivishana(thats the spelling for Ravana's brother) as a good-hearted rakshasa... well, in truth, he betrayed his brother to save his hide. as a result, if someone betrays us, we tend to say 'gharshatru bivishana'(traitor-of-the-kin bivishana) wink