Av 2. Is there a bug where items disappear.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a bug where items disappear. This has happened to me twice, early on in Fort Draco, later in Olgai. In Olgai I lost important stuff, Magery crystal, Orb of Thralni, Blessed Plate Mail, and loads of armour from the Ornotha Ziggurat that I was hoping to turn into cash.

Does anyone know why this happens?

If you dropped the items on the ground, then yes, it's possible. If there are too many items on the ground in a town, they start vanishing.

—Alorael, who was under the impression that junk vanished first. If you use up all the junk, though, it might just start random item removal.

Yeah, you should be grateful that items ever stay where they are. In Exile all dropped items automatically disappeared as soon as you left town (except in the storage rooms) so you had to prioritise which items to take and sell and which items to be abandoned.

In Avernum 2 you can still store items in the designated storage rooms (Olgai, Silvar, Castle). That's the only safe place to leave your stuff.