QW2: Missing something about the Harvester Shard, please help?

I'm nearly done with the game, but want to be a bit completionist and explore the Aram Peaks area.  I searched in here in case someone else asked already and didn't find an answer.

I got nearly through the Ice gate, and got the harvester shard now in my Special Items list.  The description for it says that Erud Fa'alis would be very interested, but when I go to talk to Erud Fa'alis, nothing in the dialog leads to doing anything with the shard.  I must be missing something, but don't know what.  I don't have a quest in my quest list for this, so I'm stuck.

Alternately, can I get into the Aram Peaks area without doing anything with this shard?

The Harvester Shard gets turned into an item that might be useful, but not necessary.

That you got it should have been part of a long quest chain. It should have been taken out of Special Items and a dialogue mention to return in several game days to get the item.

Thanks for that hint but I sadly need more.  I guess this is what I get for playing in short bursts interrupted by icky real life.  I've forgotten who said to come back, and I don't seem to have that quest chain anymore.  The only guidance in game I have is the shard description which says to talk to the Erud... who isn't talkin!

So if it's just a helpful but not necessary item, can I have another hint about how to get into Aram Peaks? I've explored both above ground and underground and can't find any passages.

The Aram Peaks is entered from below ground in the Underworld in the northwest area past a dragon. Getting past the dragon by fighting or negotiating brings you up west of Icegate. From there you can explore a few other places before going to the final fight area.