Currently playing through Exile II. It was my first Spiderweb game, ~25 years ago. What a great game!

I've been a sucker for turn-based RPGs since I was a kid, thanks to Exile. For example, my favorite mobile game is Pixel Dungeon. Exile holds up really well alongside it, even after all these years. One thing I appreciate about Exile/Avernum is it doesn't copy directly from Tolkien like so many other fantasy universes do. Instead of using the same old elves and dwarves, Jeff invented Vahnatai, Sliths, Nephilim, slimes, troglodytes, and so much more. Despite knowing the story and lore of Exile so well, I still get sucked into it during playthroughs.

Just wanted to leave a note. I hope Jeff is really proud of his creations!

Well...a lot of those monsters are fairly standard in various fantasy, but it's how they are used that's important.

I mean, Vahnatai are Roswell greys, which have been done a zillion times in (usually bad) sci-fi.  But putting them in fantasy was different, giving them kris blades and ninja stars and having crystal magic and crystal souls and hibernating underground...that's a different take on it.

Sliths have... I guess analogues in standard fantasy, but they are kind of the polar opposites of traditional dumb, mundane lizardmen.  So I'd give some credit there too.

The others less so.  Slimes are pretty much a direct lift from ad&d.  Most of the monster list in Exile is straight from ad&d, which isn't surprising given that (a) this was true of the vast majority of 20th century RPGs, and (b) the whole premise of Exile originated in Jeff's tabletop campaigns.

I completely agree, what a great game! You make me want to play through E2 again. It's just the perfect blend between the engine, nuances, and spells of E3 and the cool original Exile locale of E1, in my opinion. I grew up the most with E3 but going back to it years later, it's tougher to get into the non-Exile setting. 

It's amazing too -- so many games now have throwaway text/dialogue/cutscenes, but even the smallest character text in Exile/Avernum is special! I love hearing about how some random town's mushroom wine is amazing. OK now to keep playing Avernum 6 ... 

• 4 weeks later...