Double clicking issue

Genernumlover

That's exceptionally weird!  The fullscreen vs window thing suggests there could be a strange interaction happening with some background process.  Things to try:

1. Try launching the game directly from Windows (i.e., not from Steam) with no Steam Overlay or anything else.  If that fixes it, you know it's a Steam issue (potentially with their newish controller mapping options).

2. If you have multiple input devices connected (e.g., a controller on top of keyboard and mouse) see if disconnecting the extra ones helps.

3. If you have any kind of input modifier running (JoyToKey, AutoHotKey, built-in keymapping software on laptops, fancy mouse software, etc) try disabling that.

Thank you for the advice. I added a desktop shortcut and it works fine when I launch it from there, but not from my Steam Archive. Fingers crossed that it remains working that way. As I said in my first post, I had it working for a little bit and it went kaput shortly thereafter.

Was a shortcut what you meant? I want to make sure that I'm trying everything that could work in case this issue creeps up again.

I'm on a Mac without any additional input devices besides the mouse and headphones. This computer is fairly new, and it only seems to be having problems with Steam and nothing else. With that in mind, I'm definitely thinking that this is a Steam issue.

Come to think of it, the Steam version of Neverwinter Nights was having a similar problem with clicking. I wonder if the same solution will work there.

Edited by Genernumlover

Thanks! I will check that out. I'm having the infamous Formello boat issue in Avernum 2 as well. Do you think that is related to Steam's updates? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well as the "reset boats" cheat recommend here on the forums, and that doesn't work.

Edited by Genernumlover

I only see one thread with any mention of a Formello boat issue in A2CS here, and none on Steam.  So I think "infamous" may not apply 🙂    (I assume you mean A2:CS, not A2.)

Notes/questions:

1. "resetboats" is one word, no space.

2. are you on a mac?

3. did you ever download an A2CS demo?

4. have you tried opening the A2CS application manually, rather than letting Steam launch it?

It's a head-scratcher.  The one other thread where this came up, somebody else was able to resolve it by using "resetboats" with the original player's save file.  More thoughts:

1. When you type "resetboats" into the shift-D box, does a message about boats then appear in the console?

2. Where were you when you used resetboats?  The suggestion seems to be to go to the regular part of Formello (not the lower map where the Vahnatai boat appears) and use it there.  (And not the world map either.)

Yes, the message appears.

I've tried it in the lower part of Formello and gone up the ramp to try it.

Just checking around, it looks like some boats are missing from Fort Draco as well. Right now there is only one for purchase. Tess takes my money for an empty boat dock, and I have to pay her again in order to gain access to the sole boat at the docks. I tried the cheat there and in Fort Ganrick and got nothing.

They aren't. I've tried that a couple of times. The game worked fine on my old computer, and when I upgraded it went kaput. I've tried editing accessibility settings, permissions, security, all of that. My saved games from my old computer didn't transfer over either, so I'm thinking this is a flaw in the copy of the game Steam has.

The Steam Cloud could be a possibility as well, but that should have only done something to my saved games. As I said, even when I start a new game, the boats are't there.

Edited by Genernumlover

This is an extremely isolated error (just 2 reports), but both reports _are_ from people using Steam on a Mac.

Actually, I just found a 3rd instance, on Steam -- it was reported entirely in French, so a search for "boat" didn't bring it up.

The other report on SW was also from a French user.  That's quite a coincidence...

Is there any chance you are also playing on a French-language OS?  (or a non-English one, at least?)

So much for that idea...

On 11/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, Genernumlover said:

Just checking around, it looks like some boats are missing from Fort Draco as well. Right now there is only one for purchase. Tess takes my money for an empty boat dock, and I have to pay her again in order to gain access to the sole boat at the docks.

The extra weird thing is that at least one boat has been left alone.  I'd say "maybe data corruption" except you already did a full uninstall and reinstall.  I'm stumped!

Thanks for trying. Just in case it was data corruption I ran the Steam file verification and it says everything is clean. This sounds like it is a problem either with Steam, my copy of Avernum 2: Crystals Souls within Steam, or that this game is somehow incompatible with my Mac.

Edited by Genernumlover

Hello Genernumlover,

Sorry we haven’t been able to figure out the causes of your problems! However, we may still be able to fix the issue with your boats in Avernum 2, even if we don’t yet know what’s causing them to disappear on your end. This solution has worked for someone once before, so hopefully it might work for you this time too.

What seems to be happening is that your copy of the game isn’t placing the boats properly, for whatever reason. However, there is a way around this. The position of all the boats is stored within each save file. So what we need to do is to convince your save file that the boats are where they’re supposed to be for a new game.

There’s an easy way to do that, thankfully. If someone *else* uses the ‘resetboats’ cheat on one of your save files, their version of the game will correctly place the boats in their starting positions. This will then be saved directly to your save file. So, if you run this modified file on your own game engine, then all the boats should appear as normal.

As least, that’s the theory. It’s worked once before, so it might be worth trying for you too, just in case! I’d be happy to do this for you. If you’d like, choose a saved game that you’d like to progress with, and send it on to me. I’ll then try to recover your boats for you.

I’m afraid I don’t run Avernum 2 over Steam, so I can’t say for certain where your saved games are stored. But here’s what Spiderweb’s support pages suggest:

“If you did not buy Avernum 2 from the Mac App Store, your games are stored in the Application Support folder, which can be difficult to find. To open it, press Command-Shift-G to Go To Folder, enter "~/Library/Application Support/Spiderweb Software", and press return. Your saved games are in the folder "Avernum 2 Saved Games." Open that folder and your saved games will be inside, in folders named 'Save0', 'Save1', etc.”

Choose the number of the saved game you want to send me, and send over that whole folder with that number (e.g. the ‘Save3’ folder). I’d suggest uploading it to some sort of file-sharing service. I tend to use WeTransfer, but you may have one you prefer.

If you do that, there's a chance I may be able to recover your boats in that save file!

Edited by Ess-Eschas
Adding some slight clarification.