Food heals you a little bit in Geneforge, if memory serves. In Avernum, you need food to rest. You actually only need one piece of food for your whole party to rest, as far as I can recall, but since I never rested except when deliberately trying to make time pass, my memory could easily be faulty.

A little advice: if you do carry food, carry greens (the green balls that supposedly look like lettuce). They're the lightest food available, and since all food is equal in utility, that makes greens the best.

—Alorael, who is in the don't rest if you don't have to camp. You can walk and waste less time in A3, you can walk and waste less money and inventory space in all three Avernums, and you don't have to remember to stock up on food. Not that you don't find enough in dungeons.

There are places where food can be useful, but I generally have to leave and reenter dungeons anyway to haul stuff, and there's usually an inn in whatever town I use to unload.

For that matter, all I really need is an energy potion for my priest and Mass Healing. I don't use inns unless I get a significant return on the investment--in other words, the time spent in the inn is less than the time I'd spend walking around trying to recover MP. Usually, this is an issue only when dealing with the Trogs or the Giants and they have raiding parties running about, since that constitutes a drain on my MP (either because I have to heal it when they beat me with sharp things, or because I have to fry them before they get the chance).

Magic regenerates at least twice as fast as health, and Mass Healing, especially at level 3, is a bargain in restorative power.