Demons in A1...

Just wondering... Most of my characters at this point are lvl 10-11. I don't have L3 Dispel spirit level. Despite this, I find that the demons in Nepharim and Nephillim fort to be impossible to beat. Am I taking them on too early or am I missing something fairly obvious?

I haste and bless all my characters before the fight, call beasts, etc.... but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

You are taking them on fairly early, and getting up to level 15 or so may help. However, if you don't mind a cheesy tactic, and have bind foe level 1, use your mage to cast bind foe on the demon every turn to web it. Use your other characters to hit it till it dies. I know this tactic works in Avernum 2, but it should also work in Avernum 1.

Also, having the first attack will make a world of difference. While out of their view, enter combat mode (after hasting and blessing), then rush them.

Thank you. It does seem weird though considering that these two areas are supposed to be accomplish fairly early in the game.

I have decided to hold off on the three sets of demons until I have reached a sufficient level. Where should I head to next?

Anyhow, thanks for the speedy response.

Demons get a lot tougher later on in the game. You still haven't faced the mung demons that dumbfound and drain spell energy from spellcasters.

The game is meant for you to go south into the Honeycomb and work your way west into the Great Cave. Buying a boat is a great investment since there are several nice places that can only reached that way. Also you can't get attacked on a boat when you want to rest up and reach safety.