Removing "drunk" effect

Avernum 3, mild spoiler.

I'm at Erox and decided to do things the hard way (i.e. drink the ale behind the counter as suggested by the NPC sitting there, Terak). It gives you the drunk status, and a bunch of Rakshasa (sp?) immediately jump you.

Now, if my party is not drunk I can totally wipe the floor with them. However, being drunk seems to be a very heavy penalty (fighters keep missing) plus none of the curing spells seem to sober up my characters - not even "Divine Restoration" at lv3.

Any ideas for sobering them up? In the meanwhile I'm just going to reload, bless my party and summon some help before triggering that mess, but that's just... cheap wink

Heck yeah, I tried all spells that even remotely seemed related (besides the obviously not, like Light). The only thing I didn't do was chug potions, darn, forgot about those - my healer was loaded down with a bunch of exotics like Bliss Elixir.

Drunkenness wore off probably 10+ rounds after I finished them off. It wasn't a particularly tough fight, had decent resistances and enough spellpoints to keep health up. It was just annoying to watch my group miss all the time (and every extra round the Raks were still alive meant they kept summoning more monsters to join in the fun :p ).

Not that I disagree with how being afflicted with "drunk" affects your party smile Quite realistic - apart from the fact that you can still get those complicated spell chants and gestures correct while zonked eek

It'd be a ton of fun if you couldn't cast spells while drunk...

Quote:
Originally written by Mikami Aufeya:
apart from the fact that you can still get those complicated spell chants and gestures correct while zonked eek
Practice, probably. With enough experience, a spell comes as naturally as tying your shoe-laces (not that tying one's shoe-laces is a particularly easy task while drunk).

That said, doesn't being drunk have an effect similar to dumbfounding? I could've sworn there was a magic penalty as well...

I know they're magic resistant (immune?) but you forgot buff spells as well as healing :p My party is strong enough to take a little beating from a measly Rak ambush, although without magic it'd get messy after a couple of rounds of just standing there.

Fighting drunk should be easier than attempting to cast spells drunk laugh

I know of no way to cure drunkenness, but that's probably because it isn't considered a 'bad' status effect. I know it reduces your to-hit percentage, but I'm not sure if it also reduces enemies' to-hit against you (a la drunken boxer).

Still, multiple blessings will counter the effect; you'll come out hitting as well or better than normal, but obviously not as well as when legitimately triple-blessed.

To make it more realistic, I think it would be rather interesting for spells like Light to cause damage to your party . . . anyone who's ever been really hammered will know what I'm talking about.