Avernum is hilarious sometimes...

Warrior Mage

I know that this is due to certain limitations within the game, but whatever, its funny.

Inkedbrilliant avernum_LI.webp (600×424) (wixstatic.com)

And yeah, I am replaying the game. I honestly dunno if to place this in general or avernum forums but I placed it in general as this is slightly off-topic. Hope to add more if I find funny stuff.

Huh, guess someone forget to put some blocked to monsters tiles next to the bar there.

I always remember in E3 an evil acolyte shopkeeper that kept their default hostile attitude and you have to charm them to go shopping.  Oppenheimer, on the surface in a town east of Kriszan, IIRC.  And also one isolated road tile near the Inn of Blades.

On 4/19/2021 at 2:24 PM, Thaluikhain said:

I always remember in E3 an evil acolyte shopkeeper that kept their default hostile attitude and you have to charm them to go shopping.  Oppenheimer, on the surface in a town east of Kriszan, IIRC.  And also one isolated road tile near the Inn of Blades.

still persist on remakes, if kills attackers then town etc will become hostile so either avoid or kill and loot and use cheat to pacify town etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Exiles have no legal standing in the Empire and many surfacer worlders are afraid of them - especially if they're traveling with Slithzerikai and Nephilim. That acolyte may not be evil. He may simply be defending himself and his shop against intruders who he believes might murder him. Killing him is still murder, even if he attacked first. He's a citizen of the Empire and you're not. For all you know, he's a traumatized veteran of the Exile-Empire War.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

• 4 weeks later...

I had already been through this empire place when I was exploring the Scree Pits but I had to come back there for joining Scimitar because I didn't know of the orb thing the first time and I saw all of the empire wizards and soldiers respawned in the same location as if they were never killed. I know that respawning is a thing but at times it can be extreme... also I had to face 5 drakes in a line that were never before after exiting the crypt in Foul Cavern. Alas, that image is lost.

Empire thing: Hmm

HAHA! Completed all the three great quests of Avernum, and I have a great herb collection at the end! I think I barely used them... I can just remember making a couple energy elixirs but nothing else, killing Hawthorne was easier than I thought as I explored throughout the Spire, killed all of his mages and other things and finally got a cure for the vengeance. I would to share that pic, but <DATA LOST>. I am starting Avernum 2 the very next day which is today, and I think I would share some funny moments of replaying it too!

I just found the Evil Acolyte in Bolton, in Exile III. He is named Oppenheimer and he is very, very nearsighted. He probably thinks you're monsters when you first enter.

Why he's carrying a shrunken head on a pole is anyone's guess, though.

Another funny thing I found is the storage building in Port Townsend, with four crates and four barrels loaded with loot, and a guard watching it, too close to block with webs. Several seemingly random tiles cannot have barrels and crates pushed onto them, including the door and in front of the door but if you figure out the path and position the container against the wall in the right spot, you can move diagonally and force it into the wall so it bounces back into an otherwise-blocked tile. Then you can push it outside. But there isn't anywhere private to loot the containers! So you have to set up a swath of webs with the Web spell, to block the line of sight for the townsfolk and guards, and the ogre at the dock. It's easiest to set up a web-free path straight south from outside the door, and when the container is looted, push it into the water and repeat with the next container. It's a hilarious, subtle puzzle.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff