Geneforge remake? But why

rist

Geneforge is the most unique of Spiderweb games - Avernum/Exile will always be my favorites, but the uniqueness in both setting and concept can't compare. And yes, Avernum is fairly unique compared to the vast majority of settings in its genre, but it's still very much within it's genre. Geneforge is a blended cocktail of fantasy and sci-fi that feels very different from the few I'm familiar with. So much of the time such settings fall back on the fallen ancient-civilization bit, where you're basically a long post-apocalyptic society, and the lost magi-science of the ancients is the ultimate force in the setting, but in Geneforge, this is entirely not the case. The cutting edge is whatever you, your allies, or your enemies are cutting with, and when something is "like the world's never seen before!" there's no asterisk by that because the past isn't littered with fallen super civilizations you're just scavenging from.

Also, Geneforge is a very old game - VERY old. 2001 old. For comparison, Exile originally came out in 1995. Avernum came out a mere five years later.

The amount of increased experience, tools, technology, and general means of improvement that could go into a remake is unlike anything in Spiderweb's history. It doesn't just have the later Geneforges to look at, but all of the second Avernum trilogy, the Avernum remakes, Avadon, and Queen's Wish. Geneforge Redux stands to become the most dramatic and colossal improvement in a company known for revising and updating their most beloved content.

1 hour ago, Necris Omega said:

So much of the time such settings fall back on the fallen ancient-civilization bit, where you're basically a long post-apocalyptic society, and the lost magi-science of the ancients is the ultimate force in the setting, but in Geneforge, this is entirely not the case. The cutting edge is whatever you, your allies, or your enemies are cutting with, and when something is "like the world's never seen before!" there's no asterisk by that because the past isn't littered with fallen super civilizations you're just scavenging from.

This, uh -- you do realize that Geneforge is literally the story of scavenging the lost magi-science of the ancients -- not just the shaping secrets buried a few hundred years ago on Sucia, but what they were based on: the magi-science of the literal  ancients.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:04 PM, Necris Omega said:

Also, Geneforge is a very old game - VERY old. 2001 old. For comparison, Exile originally came out in 1995. Avernum came out a mere five years later.

Avernum and Avernum were released in 2000 and I still don't feel like they needed to be remade/rebooted. These games run perfectly on my 2017 pc. I guess the need for a remake has nothing to do with new technology, more with how Jeff Vogel ( @Spidweb ) feels about them. ;)