Since I played Geneforge 5 again, I noticed it was a larger game than I have previously thought. Jeff proved me wrong, again.

I'm planning to start again, and I'd like to know the best side you can lean on at factions. I do know that Rawal, Alwan = Shapers, Astoria = ??? etc.

Is sneaking a viable option? At Unbounds, it may be, since the time you spent killing it is not worth the experience. Also, there are no points for sneaking since it might be used to get the sneak xp then kill the enemies later on, or maybe sneaking is just minor.

Is it ok to spread skill points? Or is it better to concentrate them on one section? I'm playing as some sort of Shaper/Agent, and I noticed I've got a decent band of creations, and my leadership and mechanics seemed ok. But since I was rushing through the game, I became lazy and just used my Battle Alphas as cannon fodder so I can pass through the hard parts and just sneak my way. I felt really cheap when I kept healing and relied on the Golems to kill the demonic golem and his master.

How do I win without joining? Since you won't be siding with anyone, how do you make that final decision of neutrality?

You start off with Rawal, but if you stay until the end then your game will end earlier than any of the other factions. Going with Astoria, Alwan, or the Trakovites will allow you to get some training early in the game, but don't pick a faction by doing officially joining too early so you can get some from each of them.

Sneaking works in several places especially in avoiding fighting the Unbound, but letting you get some loot.

Concentrating skills allows you to consistently hit them later in the game. Having a few creations helps to protect you and concentrate damage on a powerful foe.

You have to choose a side in the end. There is no true neutrality. Otherwise you get killed as dangerous.

You start off with Rawal, but if you stay until the end then your game will end earlier than any of the other factions. Going with Astoria, Alwan, or the Trakovites will allow you to get some training early in the game, but don't pick a faction by doing officially joining too early so you can get some from each of them.

I was planning to do it, although it is pretty logical conflicts are unavoidable, like that Kill Platano quest, if so, what other quests conflict with what quest? Spoil me if its truly necessary ;_;

There are the later quests that occur when you swear loyalty to a faction leader after doing preliminary quests that don't commit you. There are basically 4 places where you enter either to do Shaper or Rebel actions: Secret Laboratory, Control Core B, Camp Dranir, and Kayar's Spire. Each area has an item or specific action needed by a faction that has another faction wanting that item or an opposite action done there.

• 3 weeks later...

There are no conflicts between completing Rawal's quests and any others. However, to win the game you must choose one of the five factions, neutrality is not an option. Alwan and Taygen are Pro-Shaper options, Trakovites, Astoria and Rebels are Pro-Rebel options. Rawal does have an ending, but it's more of a non-standard game over. I'd recommend saving just before making that final decision, so you can see that ending. Also, sneaking is a viable option gameplay-wise, but you will miss out on a lot of XP.

As for balancing skills, that's good to a point, but don't put too much xp into what you're weak in, as this will seriously hinder you, especially as often you can buy these skills from trainers for gold (Combat from a Guardian in Isenwood, Sage Quoth will provide magic training in Haria-Kel and there's no option for shaping).

Finally, I don't think there's a 'Best Option' in terms of factions, it's more about the story than power, but I do know that the Trakovites won't teach you shaping, which late-game doesn't matter as War Tralls, Drakons and Gazers are only attainable through canisters.