Dismissed items

Since I am playing a singleton playthrough at torment and I obviously have a greater availability of items and money, an uncomfortable feeling I feel when I come to consider all of my dismissed good items along the way. I can sell them, ok, money is good and useful. But, in a troubled underworld like Avernum certainly is, I would like to contribute more and not to waste, donating some items of choice to other Avernum citizens and warriors. How grateful would be a Scimitar or a King Mica's archer if I give him/her a Deadeye Cloack, i.e. I mean about next games, it's a hint. I notice some examples of altruism are there in game, as curing people i.e. I simply suggest to do something similar with the items one dismiss. What do you think?

I see that special cloaks, swords, bows, etc would go waste on common soldier and for example Flaming sword would be bit useless against some threats normal soldier confronts while normal sword is good against all enemies Avernite soldiers fight (Nephs, Sliths, Goblins. Spiders, Slimes, etc) and more bigger threats like Drakes, Lichs, etc are left for adventurers (us) to deal.

Jerakeen is of course correct on how the merchant's make their money in Avernum. If it makes you feel better, you can drop some items in the castle or elsewhere, but it will have absolutely no effect on the game itself. If you are talking about something that you would like to see in future games where you can turn in some special items for reputation, Jeff could probably do that pretty easily as a another collection quest if he wants to.

You know how what Jeff has pegged as top equipment gets that green "shiny" on it in your inventory?

Maybe stuff that is... still better than any routine items but perhaps the next tier down from the real good stuff, can get a yellow shiny or something, and there can be a quartermaster who will give you a rod of succor for it or something.

Edgwyn : yes, that is a good idea. Something similar to what happens in the lands north of Fort Emerald when you cure a dragon in its cave, you save its life literally, then he teaches you at a high price, and in this case the balance isn't right to me. But, if one would be in the right conditions to associate an act of donation with some gratitude from the other side, a better reputation might be the result, and happiness for all :grin: