Geneforge 3-5 monetary system

In the first two Geneforge games I scavenged every item that could be sold to a merchant, but in the end all I did was waste a ton of time. In the first Geneforge, money was essentially useless and in G2 a lot of the skills I wanted to buy from trainers I had already trained in. I used maybe 30,000 in gold for training and still ended up with 30,000 by the end of the game, even after buying a ton of useless spells that my character would never use.

So my question to the people who have played the final 3 Geneforge games: is it more of the same?

It depends. You can definitely throw a lot of the money you find into trainers if you deliberately avoid spending skill points on trainable skills until you reach the corresponding trainers. Also, a character who uses creations and magic is obviously going to have more opportunities to spend money than a character who doesn't, since you'll be spending money on those as well. Still, in general you can expect to find enough money to meet your needs, as long as you're not trying to buy literally everything.

Also in the first two games, you are in a closed economy with a finite amount of money. It's possible to suck every coin out of the game so you can't sell another item. The remaining games pretty much let you sell everything you want. Your cost to buy things will still depend upon your reputation and faction you pick.