Buying 1 Point Of Priest Skill For Non-Casters

In CS, I've found that it can be very useful to purchase 1 point of priest skill for another character in your party, just to get minor healing.

During fights can be a life saver if your priest can't heal people for whatever reason that turn, or if you'd rather use your priest's turn for another spell.

It's particularly good for a melee fighter actually. There are a lot of enemies that can immobilize or ensnare them, making them waste a turn if they can't reach an enemy, and don't have enough ranged skill to be effective at a distance. If they can heal, there's always something useful for them to do.

Plus, you can conserve your priest's mana when you heal between fights. Even low INT characters can cast minor healing dozens of times before running out of energy. That 1 point unlocks a whole other well of mana to use up.

I've always given my melee fighters/front two guys at least 1-2 points in priest skills. In addition to the healing that was mentioned, a timely curing cast on someone who's turn is coming up can often prevent a death (especially as hp for poison/acid/lightning comes off of the player at the start of their turn). Also now that Jeff has gotten rid of the all-in-one buff/blessing spell having the first couple of guys able to cast protection & blessing during the first round frees up the spell casters to drop a couple of a-o-e spells into the midst of the other side.

On some run throughs I've even had the front line guys build up their priest levels so that eventually they were able to cast 'divine fire' (which also means that they are high enough for mass healing/curing & unshackle mind duties as well). One or more points into priest skills every other level will get them to the 'divine fire' area somewhere around level 15-20, or right about the time when you could use 4 (or more depending on haste) divine fire fireballs decimating your enemies or at least put a major hurting on their plans to knock you around.

Priest Spells are a common investment in this series for every character, especially a fighter looking to increase party utility or reach 10 hard points in Resistance. You may wish to read the Strategy Central posts to learn more about party building:

Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central

Avernum 2: Crystal Souls Strategy Central