Gratitude From a Long-Time Fan

Mattimeo78

So I have been occasionally visiting these forums for pretty well half of my life now, and I figured tonight was as good a time as any to finally partake, if only this once. Whether or not he stops in to see it, I wanted to thank Mr. Vogel for creating products that have been part of the greater portion of my life. For those not interested, meaningless reminiscing follows.

I first became aware of Spiderweb Software when I was about nine or ten, when a friend called me over to see one of the games he had installed from one of those huge demo collection discs they used to throw about. It was Exile 3: Ruined World, and it would become the game I would inconsistently play longer than any other to this day. Given that it was a single player game, we would form a six-person party by combining three characters we each made then take turns playing the game, arguing over loot, suggesting courses of action, and the likes. Thanks to the size of the demo there was always something new for slowly-progressing children like us to do, and so we were never overly disappointed to run into the Shareware Demon.

Eventually my dad got me a computer that I believe is now out-performed by my current phone and I was able to learn of Exile 1 and 2, when my not-so-proficient intellectual faculties realized that if there was a third game, there must be a first and second. This is also how I first learned of file transfer, when I tried moving Exile 1 from my dad's internet-connected computer to my own via 1.4mb floppy. Thanks for making the .exe too big for that to work, Jeff; broke my fickle heart for about six minutes.

Spiderweb Software stayed with me when I moved to another town and lost contact with that friend. When I was twelve or thirteen I dodged a book report by putting my computer in the closet, shutting the doors and playing Exile 3 day after day. I was sort of a weird kid-who admittedly grew into sort of a weird adult-so my parents did not think much of it. A few years later when I started high school I took programming courses because I wanted to make games as special to others as Exile 3 had been to me. Diving into Blades of Avernum helped me cope with the end of my first long-term relationship, and sharing the second Avernum trilogy helped create some common interests in my second one.

I realize this has gotten pretty run-on and who cares, but I figure it is not hurting anyone to type it up, and I did leave the disclaimer above. I finally finished Avernum 3 and Blades of Avernum when I was around twenty, I believe, and while I have not made many strides with the rest of the games beyond extensive play of this demo or that, I did just grab Avadon off of Steam and am quite eager to see where Jeff has gone with this series, since all my prior experience is with Exile/Avernum and a little Geneforge. Never got into Nethergate.

Also, Steam is selling the entire Geneforge series for $20? I'm not sure who cleared that, considering the individual titles are also $20 each, but at risk of contradicting the wont of Mr. Vogel, I find that unacceptably inexpensive.

Anyway, yeah, so there's all that. Over my lifetime my bought/borrowed/played video game list is pushing or has surpassed a thousand titles I figure, and I can name very few of them, but Spiderweb Software has been with me for at least fifteen years now. I thank you for all that your products have given me and gotten me through, Jeff. Keep doing what makes you happy and secure, and for the sake of your soul, never go anywhere near the Steam forums for your games. Great things have been utterly ruined by the incessant whining and meaningless, ignorant opinions of the cheap bastards who frequent them.

Anyway, yeah, so there's all that. Over my lifetime my bought/borrowed/played video game list is pushing or has surpassed a thousand titles I figure, and I can name very few of them, but Spiderweb Software has been with me for at least fifteen years now.

Because Spiderweb is so unique... it's so beautiful yet so unmainstream.

-----

-Nightwatcher