A:EftP - Just Soloed the Slith King With Fighter

My Fighter did it with strength and intelligence and no endurance or dexterity. Melee 12, 10 hardiness, 4 quick action, 6 lethal blow. 8 Priest spells and some resistance and tool use. The only spells used were smite at lvl 2 and the first heal you get at lvl 2. The slith king was somewhat tough but mostly because when you are alone, that berserker swing is much too risky if it hits. If he hits you with that thing you are finished or possibly out of the fight. Another thing is that the throne defenders are worse than the king. They can corner you and not getting away from swing means dessert for king. I will possibly try a fighter/healer in future who only deals damage with melee and heals before jumping back at king. Its possible I think I just need to find another fight room next time. I mostly dealt damage at beginning with sword and then let a throne defender come in front of a tunnel. The king sat there and was frustrated and did a Vogel face at me (he knew he lost). I then to make it realistic, killed the defender and finished off slith king with my sword. It was a tough fight and I got it on my 3rd try. Is soloing the king supposed to be like that or should I have done something else? Oh and smite rocks. Do I suck at the fight or should I have been able to melee him the whole time.

Is soloing possible in Avernum 4-6 or just the remake because of respawning enemies? I played a fighter/priest or a fighter who relies on priest attack spells. Would a fighter/healer work too? A fighter/healer is a warrior who relies on healing and moreso on fighting rather than attack spells. Should I go a different avenue on traits. I was hoping to take elite warrior for the parry but divine touched sounds good too.

Edit-Oh and which should I solo, Avernum 4 or 5? which is easier. Thanks chris kringle.

You can solo all the Second Trilogy games, however you need priest attack spells for some side quests where you need to do different damage types. I suppose you could come back much later when you have the appropriate weapons to do those damage types.

Avernum 4 is easier because you have the old haste giving extra action points.

Randomizer, is a fighter/healer viable if I don't do all the side quests you mentioned or is it required to do a fighter/priest for main quests? I was just going to crank melee and all those skills out the kazoo and with elite warrior trait, I will block many attacks in Avernum 4. At least that's what the thread said.

The fighter/healer should be viable, but I don't remember what I did for all the main quests. Parry is required for a solo game because several monsters do an attack that reduces your next round AP if you are hit.

Avernum 4, has the Shades that are easier to attack from range so don't neglect that too much.

Avernum 5, The Sentinel Workshop needs range attacks, but if you have decent bows or thrown weapons you should be able to do it.