Ibu Quest

Wanderer

I'm being told I'm too late to save Ibu even though I got rid of the zephr. Truth is, I did mess around elsewhere in the borderlands before attacking the zephr. Is this being too late an inevitable outcome, or is it because I waited and di other things in the borderlands? (I'd search the boards to see if anyone else had this problem, but oddly you can't use a three letter word in the Spiderweb boards search engine.)

• 1 year later...

This is a strange situation. In this game as in all the games of Jeff I have no real sense of time passing so what is the point of creating the sense of being too late if there are no consequences to being too late. The only thing I did was to step one foot over the border to mark the various exits. I did not actually go anywhere else. It pulls me out of the story and into a consideration of game mechanics. That is a shame.

A few of Jeff's games pay a bit of attention to time passing (the older ones where you have to eat and/N:R where it grows dark outside and of course A3). For the more modern games, yes this quest was unusual in that the sense of urgency was not false, the way it is in most of the quests in the Avadons where you have as much time as you want to do side quests ignoring your main mission.

I suspect that the intention was to force you to complete the mission without returning to the pylon to recharge, creating an interesting degree of difficulty. The concept in Avadon appears to be that you instantaneously travel hundreds to a thousand miles via pylon, walk miles to tens of miles by shifting maps (in hours or days) and cover feet to hundreds of yards (in seconds to an hour) within a map. Creating a time and date counter would make it more explicit, but I am not sure what the value is.

I personally prefer the Avadon movement system to the A:EFTP movement system which I love compared to the movement system in A4.