Pyroroamers

So...has anyone ever actually used these things to good effect? It seems like a cool idea, but it doesn't seem like the amount of damage they do makes them even remotely worth it. The explosion doesn't become super-powered in later games, does it? I essentially stopped trying with them after G1.

I was surprised to hear that people found the unstable creations to be useful, so I was wondering if anyone found some way to make use of the other creation I always thought was useless.

Incidentally, I mourn the loss of the Thahd Shade...the unstable mechanic is cool, to be sure, but the ability to make a creation immune to poison and mental effects (because it was "undead") was pretty damn awesome.

Nah, Pyororoamers are pretty much useless. Among the unstable creations, the Corrupted Thahd and Shock Trall in G5 are really good for certain fights, among the rest I don't think I've ever needed the unstable vlishes, kyshakks and Wingbolt varieties however do huge damage and the kyshakks do a big boom on dying so according to situation they can sometime be useful.

Some players use pyroroamers to loot by moving them next to an NPC and then absorbing their essence so they explode. This keeps the area from going hostile so you can now gather loot that the NPC was guarding.

Swarms of roamers can be sent to take out a target early in the game when creations don't have much health.

Some players use pyroroamers to loot by moving them next to an NPC and then absorbing their essence so they explode. This keeps the area from going hostile so you can now gather loot that the NPC was guarding.

Swarms of roamers can be sent to take out a target early in the game when creations don't have much health.

Interesting...so you could kill essentially anyone without them fighting back. I could see this having some non-screw-up-the-game applications. Let you get away with not fighting some key bosses.

But I guess the damage is not increased in later versions of Geneforge? I kinda wish Jeff would have looked at them as a spell you're essentially spending 15 essence on--that's would let you rethink how much that explosion should really do.

• 1 month later...

In the early games, there was a bug where you could use crystals to kill a target, and the area wouldn't go hostile. I think that was removed in G2 though.

I have never used pyroroamers. I wonder if perhaps I could expiriment with a Shaper that relies on Pyroamers throughout the game. Though which Geneforge game would be the most optimal?