Completed the game without MAJOR Problems-Huzzah!!!

Its been almost 2 years since I messed up my agent in Geneforge 1 and cursed the games. I kind of put this shackle on me which I thought I wouldn't be able to complete one of jeffs older games. It was very annoying and because I wanted to convince myself I don't suck, I just completed the first gene forge with no creations, solo obeyer-aligned melee guardian.

I wanted to solo a guardian for a long time as it really was one of my favorite classes. I used to think agents were my favorite but then I had this idea that if a tough guy warrior can solo the game, then that would be awesome!

My skills were mostly in melee weapons and quick action which were in twenties. I had a decent strength and endurance and a few skill points in mechanics/leadership.

The character has led me to believe that a guardian or any melee type character with high melee/quick action, can lay any other character out in less than 1-2 rounds. I don't think there was 1 enemy that could take 2 hits of my sword and my character couldnt have been the craziest as I only had a mediocre anatomy and no ap adding numbers.

Again I'm sorry this isn't real news to most, its just that for me this is like MAJOR as I used really little guides and came up with my own tactics and stat raising. The curse was lifted as Trajkov left the building!

Congratulations on doing it with a melee Guardian since so many Geneforge zones make you face range attackers.

Thanks both, appreciate it.

You know what I did was something that works very well. I would engage a group of 2-4 enemies at once and take down 1 until the group is down to 3 vs 1. From there I will fight them as best I can and will likely either take down 1 (80% of the time) or get them badly beaten. When I get damage big time which is usually what happens, I will go back to a corner and press end combat and combat mode hop until I am fairly far away. With that in mind I will heal in real time mode with sometimes going back to combat mode to regroup back around a corner. I based this build on a decent amount of heal magic so I could get from 20 health back to 170 in 1 or 2 casts.

It was a lot of fun. Im not really even sure that I know what game to play next in the series. I played Geneforge 2 up till late in the game but wasn't thrilled that guardians were even more crazy. I usually like it when the class I play has flaws but is still dangerous. Like this char. Geneforge 2 was insanely powerful with guardians to the point where I think a glitch happened where I parried a gazers blast (something that should not happen)

I was thinking of Geneforge 3 but never really played much of it.

I really like G2. If the super-parry Guardian isn't your cup of tea, maybe you'd like the Agent, which got new spells compared to what was available in G1.

G3 is not my favorite game, but it does have sentimental value for me because it was the first SW game I got to play through the entire game (as opposed to just the demo). Guardian, Agent, and Shaper builds are all totally viable in G3. I recommend the Shaper+Vlish route - basically you hurry along until you can Vlish on the second island, raise your shaping as high as possible (and intelligence to have enough essence), and create a full army of Vlish. Then go through the rest of the game directing your army of magical balloon creatures to do battle with all who get in your way. Vlish are cheap enough in essence to get a big army, and strong enough and available early enough to keep for the rest of the game.

I usually will go for the solo play with melee and limited magic. I find that if I use daze or other game breakers it makes it to easy and eventually I lose interest. I'd play an agent with melee but if I did then I would only use blessing and heal magic and likely wouldn't touch mental or battle magic. The cool thing about agents is while they don't get access to a lot of healing spells, with spell craft at a cheap cost, they might as well be 50 times better at the healing spells than the guardian with just a little canisters to help with getting some higher spells. I would make my agent just like my guardian was with decked out strength, endurance, quick action, melee. I would probably stay away from parry and maybe place a few points in luck.

Id use that in Geneforge 3 but I don't know how viable it would be.

Parry is toned down a good bit in G3 (a helpful defensive boost, but not broken a la G2), so you could easily do that build with a Guardian and pay fewer skill points for your combat skills.

You could also do a Battle-magic Agent - skip the mental magic spells like Daze and just hit stuff with fire and acid and so forth.

I was thinking of using a build that would have worked in G1. Seeing as quick action is useful but only when high in lvl, would it be possible to get it to a low lvl and then instead of parry, focus on strength/melee, endurance and dexterity. I figure that with dexterity, it will also give me acid resistance and fire resistance as well as evasion. You may not deal as much damage when you get a double attack, but you will deal more damage normally with a higher strength/melee amount.

I was going to try that in G3 but would it be possible in G2? I just figured that it would be like swapping quick action with dex which isn't the worst. I could still get a somewhat ok parry if that is possible.

The only reason I ask is because I want to try something different and make it work.

Dex would be a waste of time; it's main use is to help with missile weapons. The other thing is that eventually, the cost in skill points to raise Melee / Str / End would be so high that you'd reap much greater reward for the skill points to invest more in QA. If you want to limit your QA and Parry investments, just raise each 10, and then focus on Melee / Str / End. The "gains" from Dex really won't give you meaningful benefit - evasion sounds neat in theory but is not a viable build in reality (unless it's done via high Parry and then only in G2).

Triumph,

Ok I think you managed to convince me to go with Geneforge 2 :)

The only thing I didnt want to happen was for me to make a character that ONLY relies on parry for everything. I would give it a go if I can still get the jump on enemies and not get 1 shot if I choose to not pump parry as much. In previous time I played that game I didn't go with a high parry but to make matters worse I forgot about endurance completely.

Geneforge 2 parry is limited to 50% and then you can also get a 50% riposte chance as you increase your Parry level. But it never goes higher so you need armor and endurance for those times that you do get hit. After this game Jeff has steadily decreased the amount of parry per level so you needed more to reach that same 50% cap.