Shavon's basilisk cave

Aran

I was helping Shavon with his basilisks and got slaughtered - Shavon in particular died very quickly since I didn't have a way to heal him. So I reloaded and decided to return and bring along Jenell instead of Shima (going for the one-companion challenge).

However, when I came back, Shavon was gone; he wasn't in his camp anymore either. When I summoned the basilisks on my own, the game mentioned that "Shavon is dead". Is this intended - as in, if you leave the caves before the battle he loses patience, rings the gong himself and dies - or some kind of game flag glitch?

It's probably a game flag glitch if your save is before asking Shavon to do his quest. If your save is after entering the cave than it is probably just the way the script interpreted the flag. I never tried it that way.

Because of the basilisk stun attack you might place Shima closer to the bulk of the monsters to draw them off and protect Shavon. He will probably have a better chance of lasting with a potion of battle while you kill them.

Is this intended - as in, if you leave the caves before the battle he loses patience, rings the gong himself and dies

I'm pretty sure that's the idea. I ran into this, too. I got going on this quest a little before I was ready to do it, backed out, and came back later. I got the same message that you're getting.

I feel as though it's a little hard to judge how the fight is going to go on the basis of what leads up to it, so it's sort of annoying that the game doesn't let you back out.