Ways to speed up avernum?

Hi - I have a very crappy computer and the game, especially the fights, are kinda slow.. I'm used to the fast pace of older Avernums, especially Avernum 3 where in 10 seconds a Divine Retribution and a Fireblast could wipe off half of the enemies... however in this I got to the first fight with the scrawny nephilims and it seems to take forever, particularly when my guys hit one and the number of damage looks like it's floating up - that annoys me very much.

Any ways to speed it up?

Somehow, the tips given above might work. I do have a crappy computer too, once, yeah, the netbook that comes with a pathetic 1.66 gigahertz and intel core atom.or something. Mine works fast at fewer enemies, but on a larger number like a million in a cave, you have to wait for like, 1 hour for the next frame to appear.

----------

In other words, you can only use little boosts to add a bit more fps to your games like lowering the graphics, playing in a DirectX version, running it on gamebooster etc. Meaning, it is almost impossible to double up the speed of your game, but add a little speed.

----------

-Test Subject 8552

Hi I installed Gamebooster and also I tested the game in another PC with 4 gb RAM, 128 mb Integrated Video card, and a "whooping" 1.4 GHz celeron... which I think is the reason that it still runs kinda slow....

WHY JEFF? Why did you erase the MEGA FAST speed you achieved in Avernum 3??? I remember these "Empire-gates" with 3 dervishes, 15 bladesman, 8 elite soldiers and 1 Wizard, and casting 3 Divine retribution and 2 Cloud of blades and eliminating all units in only a minute, yet in this game you take 5 minutes to take 3 "scrawny" nephilims?