Mental Effects

I think these are one of the biggest problems in the game. The only way they can be fixed is with Unshackle Mind, so if your priest character gets it, you're out of luck. In contrast, physical effects can be cured in a variety of ways.

Further, unless under Battle Frenzy, a priest can only cure one character's mental effects every round, which is inconvenient when there are two or more charmed, stunned or terrified characters active. The worst part is that Divine Restoration doesn't do a thing to fix them.

In the event that Mr. Vogel actually reads this stuff, I would urge him to add something like the Shard of Release to later remakes of these games, that cures all nearby characters of their mental effects.

If a priest raises their intelligence enough, they'll almost never be affected by mental effects.

There have only been a few occasions where I've had more than one character charmed. I've seen multiple characters get terrified, but in my mind terrify is not nearly as big of a deal, because you don't have your own characters attacking you (and often doing more damage than any of the opponents). Since terrify and stun (not sure if stun is a mental effect, though?) don't seem to last very long in most cases, I'll often not even bother casting unshackle in those cases, and just use one of the priest's attack spells instead. The effect often wears off in 1 or 2 rounds.

Also, you can cast ward of thoughts if you are about to enter a battle where you expect a lot of mental attacks - but I rarely used it (I think I might've used it before the Arenea Queen, but that's the only time I can think of right now).

The thing is, while what I'm describing is annoying, I have no doubt that my party getting killed because they don't have Ward of Steel or Ward of Elements up is even more annoying. It's not a game ender but it is very ridiculous (IMHO) that they can only be fixed in one specific way. There are scrolls that let you cast Domination, so why aren't there items that let you cast Unshackle Thoughts?

I realize that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but cure fits my strategy and playing style much better. It's my one real objection to the game that isn't stylistic.