Invulnerability potions... Necessary? *spoilers*

So I reached the battle with Emperor Hawthorne, and I quickly discovered that those golems and their stupid AOE attacks can decimate my party in a single turn. All of them. Even my Paladin with both hardiness and resistance maxed out, even my Amazon with maxed hardiness and a 16 point investment in endurance, nobody can survive without invulnerability potions.

Fortunately, my cave lore makes it possible for me to make a few more invulnerability potions, but it kinda irritates me that such a practice is even needed, so I'm wondering if anybody has ever managed to beat Emperor Hawthorne on Torment without the use of Invulnerability potions.

It's possible to survive without using invulnerability potions until the last stage of the fight, at which point you can hopefully take out Hawthorne in a single round, before the golems get to attack again. It does require things to go just right for you, though, and I wouldn't blame anyone for popping a few invulnerability potions rather than risking failure at the very end.

Originally Posted By: kensuguro
Did you buff with wards and cloaks? I haven't tried on torment yet, but planning to, and was wondering if that'll make some difference. I'd imagine invulnerability would still turn the battle upside down even on torment.

Yeah, I buffed with wards and cloaks, level 3 elements and arcane, and my resistances are 87% for my paladin, and even HE can't survive a single round against those golems.