Need help w /stat & skill progression in Torment

Played through once on Normal and no problems. Jumped to Torment difficulty, and am stuck around 11th level, as everything I encounter, from the remaining encounters in the northeastern part of the map, to the encounters between Fort Remote and Tower of Magi, all pretty much one-shot kill me. I even cheated my shorts off and got enough cheat gold together to buy every training I could find, and still am getting squished by all but the easiest fights, and those are all gone by now.

I have a 1 Soldier/1 Priest/2 Mage party modeled on Slarty's guide. I figured that I'd need to up my endurance from the beginning in Torment, so I have divided stat points between ST or INT on the one hand (depending on the character) and END on the other. I made the soldier more of a tank than a hitter. Got Good Health and made sure everyone had at least a couple points of Hardiness. Put heaviest armor I could find or buy on everyone (just shy of not being able to cast spells), and use defensive tactics where possible.

Still getting one-shotted.

Have played through Avandon on hardest setting, so am not a complete newb, but am getting a bit frustrated. Should I have focused on the primary stats only and ignored END for the beginning? Should I put some in DEX to get a higher chance of going first in a round?

Searches of the forums left me unclear on this; could really use some help. Thanks for reading!

Wurfrahmen

I've found that you need to be about 5 levels higher than most fights on normal difficulty to do as well on torment difficulty. Those levels give you the extra health to survive the longer fights.

The progression you have seems fine, but you probably only need 2 stat points to ST or INT for every END point. That will give you a better to hit chance. Getting one shotted means you need to skip that area for now since even high dexterity won't help. Parry does help but you need a lot.

What you need to do is avoid fights and go to the Tower of Magi for better spells and to learn to use the pylons. Then head to Cotra to buy the cheaper boat. Sail west and south to the Great Cave and visit towns and forts. Get the easy delivery and collection quests to gain a few levels. Then go back and try to kill stuff.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave any remaining sanity at the door. I know there isn't much after what you've been through. smile

I'd say even a 2:1 ratio is more than you need. You can get away with investing maybe 5 stat points in Endurance throughout the whole game. I found the game got a whole lot easier once I stopped investing in Endurance and started pumping my attack stat to the exclusion of everything else. Overinvesting in Endurance can be counterproductive because while you may be able to survive one more hit, battles can last a long time on Torment and making them last an extra few rounds because your attacks are missing all the time will erase any survival advantage you had.

Also, try to avoid enemies with breath weapons or elemental area-effect attacks until you've got some more levels under your belt. Those are universally deadly, especially in the early game.