Linking towns

ben4808

Another scenario design question (I just keep coming upon more and more).

Here's the situation: I want to give the party a choice of whether or not to leave one town and enter the next one, so I have a Display Dialog node with yes and no buttons. If the player chooses yes, I call a stairway node that takes them to the next town. All's well so far. But, I want to call another special immediately as the party enters the new town to inform them of this new situation. However, if I link another node to the Stairway node, it is ignored when I enter the second town. How do I get it to work?

Okay, I'll try that. I didn't think it would work that way as the player didn't actually "walk" on the space. Just like you can't call a special node immediately upon scenario entry--except for the intro text, but I wouldn't count that as a special.

As for my username, I really don't see a problem with it that requires it to be changed because TGM's name is never "The Great Mister" anymore (unless you count the Lyceum), so confusion should be avoided. Also, my names all only last for 150 posts.

The special node you want to call is supposed to be at the same location in the new town as the stairway itself was in the old town, not on the spot the stairway takes them to. (Obviously, if you don't want the special to be called at any other time, wall that space off or make it a one-shot.)

Still no luck. mad I'm attributing this to the fact that the first town is a small town and the second is a medium. The coordinates of the stairway are (17,6), so I put the special at (17,6) in the new town (and yes, it was a one-time). I got no message when I activated the stairway, though it takes me to the second town in the right spot. Any more advice?

tDS-How exactly did you do it?

Just like that. I admit I mis-read your first post. I had just done the sending to another town. As for the message, I didn't do, and won't have time to do until tomorrow. You should try my advice first (placing the dialogue box pop-up a step foward).

After that, I don't know how I can help you. Maybe someone more experienced can.

It's been a while, but try putting in a special after the stairway node in the chain, call it 'n'. (pick any number here between 0-99)

Go into the next town you are linking and under node 'n' put the text description there, NOT in the original town you came from.

Unless the docs are in error, the Jump To special is only called if the player chooses not to climb the stairs.

I've actually been trying to get the stairway bug to "work" myself and can't. I think he might be on to something about it only working between towns of the same size.