Defense of Magical Efficiency

Magical Efficiency's largely considered to be useless since you can always go back to town and you won't have to fight your way past all of the monsters you fought last time to get back to where you were. However, I honestly disagree and feel that magical efficiency is highly valuable and definitely worth putting points in, for several reasons:

1: The highest-tier spells are EXPENSIVE. Anything stronger than lightning spray is going to make you use up your energy very quickly, and in many cases you'll run out in a single battle if the foes are hardy enough, particularly on torment, where enemy resistances are ludicrously high.

2: The "just go back to town" logic is NOT always viable. There are a few dungeons I've encountered where you'll still have to fight your way through a large number of enemies to get back to where you were before. In those cases, if you run out of spell energy, you need to use energy potions, which are limited, rare, and largely ineffectual.

3: Magic users are NOT tight for skill points. There are 6 magical disciplines, and you get 63 skill points by level 30. You could get one school of magic to level 17 and still have 46 skill points left over, which is just 1 shy of allowing you to max all four advanced magic skills AND get the minimum learned weapon skill required to be able to use Adrenaline rush with training.

4: Not a utility argument, more of an overall enjoyment factor, but there are many places where going back to town regularly can get extremely annoying.

Granted, I haven't yet beaten the game, so I might be missing something, but I really don't understand why mages should avoid magical efficiency, I think it's an extremely useful skill.

The function of magical efficiency is similar to that of first aid, which restore spell energy after each engagement.

I wonder which is more effective.

I have a few points in magical efficiency on my priest, but I'm never sure how much difference it's actually making. No idea how often or by how much my SP usage is actually being reduced.

It may not be the "prevailing wisdom" on the boards, but I agree with you - I found magical efficiency useful, for the the first reason you mention in particular. If you use andrenaline rush to spam top-tier spells you may run out of energy in the longer battles. Magical efficiency helps prevent this.

And I also agree that frequent runs back to town to recharge can get boring.

I seem to notice the efficiency hit more on the priest, esp if I need to use divine fire or group heal a lot. Even on the mage, I remember various attacks being slightly cheaper than priest attacks, but arcane blow is expensive as hell, so it's easy to run out in a boss match. (I'm in normal mode)

So I invested in magical efficiency (4 points currently), but it seems like the more expensive spells will drain energy very quickly anyway. I do get a feeling that though it may help, you'd need a significant amount of points for it to make a huge difference.. so I currently have more points for spell craft.

In aggregate though, they have the same effect (increasing total damage or cure / charge) I guess it depends on how the probability is calculated for magical efficiency. Maybe one helps more than the other. But spell craft has an absolute effect for total damage/charge, as opposed to efficiency, which effectively extends your charge capacity.

at least from what I can see, these should apply for a scenario where you cast 1 spell 'till you run out.

spell energy capacity = E,

spell damage= d,

cost of a particular spell = c

level = L for each skill

spellcraft:

total d = (d * 1.02 * L) * (E / c)

(it's 2% gain per level right?)

magic efficiency:

spell recharge expected value / turn = S

total d = d * ((E + (E / c) * S) / c)

So we'd need to know how the spell recharge is calculated for magic efficiency to figure out S. Of course, this is just judging from what I can see. Anyone is welcome to correct if my understanding is wrong.