A:EftP - right location / task for your level

I've been playing for a little bit, just level 15 or so, and finding that it's very easy to fall into locations that are way beyond my level.

But considering the old school game design aesthetic, I can understand the enemies not scaling to my xp. I sort of appreciate that. But, at the same time, I find it very difficult to find places that are suited to my level/xp. The only way I can do this is to go to every location until I can effectively fight enemies, and even still, I encounter enemies (groups) that seem way beyond my level.

I understand not scaling encounters to player xp, but are there game design cues that I'm missing that would guide me to where I'm supposed to be?

Sorry if this is a sort of thread hijack but just wondered: Is level 33-35 alright for the Emperor's assassination and Grak-Hoth quests?

I've tried them a couple of times at that level and just got slaughtered. All characters stunned and surrounded by demons, thwack thwack thwack yawn no fun LOL grin

I gave up and did the Escape quest instead, which was a lot easier. But I still want to go back and do the other 2 but don't think the party is up to it tbh.... frown

Originally Posted By: Pleiades
Sorry if this is a sort of thread hijack but just wondered: Is level 33-35 alright for the Emperor's assassination and Grak-Hoth quests?

I've tried them a couple of times at that level and just got slaughtered. All characters stunned and surrounded by demons, thwack thwack thwack yawn no fun LOL grin

I gave up and did the Escape quest instead, which was a lot easier. But I still want to go back and do the other 2 but don't think the party is up to it tbh.... frown

You're at an appropriate level, but Hawthorne and Grah-Hoth both put up a pretty challenging fight. Invulnerability potions are very helpful if you've held onto any. Grah-Hoth summons a new wave of enemies whenever you inflict a certain amount of damage on him, so kill his minions first to make sure you don't get overwhelmed.

Well I went back to Erika to report and got some new spells/potions etc, went back to Grah hoth and beat him fairly easily.

I wonder if I was under a Dread curse the first time around (I never seem to notice when I get one blush )? How much difference does a Dread Curse make (maybe I should start another thread about it)? If you miss the text, is there any indication you are suffering from one? I make a habit of visiting the priest in Magi's Tower just in case LOL

Originally Posted By: nikki.
I remember somebody saying its a penalty to hit and damage - I want to say 10% but don't quote me.

You can find out if you have received a dread curse on the training screen, though. It's listed with your traits.

Thanks Nikki, I must have got one 3 or 4 times, I think 'cos I make a habit of praying at the shrine in the Castle which gives u the curse if you've done something bad previously (stealing, etc).

Re: OP. Hope you're finding it a bit easier now. I think the beginning when it's more of a struggle is more satisfying in a way, as there's more challenge and things to discover than later, which is more about to-ing and fro-ing to find the last few items/quests...