Avernum's First 3

I tried getting further in avernum 1 but had a bit of trouble with the interface and dated graphics. Im now nearing the middle of the new game avernum escape from the pit and am really enjoying it. I have a question to many of you guys who've already beaten avernum 1-3.

Is avernum 2 and 3 original like the future remakes 2 and 3 where you start the game and youve got the story and the rest is just mini side encounters. Im only asking because im currently loving the suspenseful waiting until the end to find out about the endgame storyline. Are 2 and 3 as suspenseful as original avernum. It kind of reminds me of geneforge 1 and I like that suspenseful not knowing what this is all about.

Avernum 2 is like the first game in that you have 3 main quests that can be done. There is a long suspenseful trip down a river near the beginning that is a lot of fun the first time because it's one way and you have no idea how long it's going to be.

Avernum 3 has you visiting the surface and trying to solve a mystery. Lots of side quests along the way. It's more fun just because there is so much to explore and the Avernum remake added a deadline to finish the game.

Avernum 3 added a humorous element when remaking Exile that not only aren't you the A-team that got sent out already, but you were a compromise choice and not expected to do much of anything.

I'd say A1 offers the least direction. In A2, you can guess very early on what the three major quests are. A3's mystery is less what you're doing and more who you're working against.

—Alorael, who wouldn't worry too much about it. The original Avernum series is generally about going through a main plot without exactly understanding where it's going. Even if you can figure out what the endgame is going to be, roughly, it's hard to see its exact form and location from early on. A3 is probably the easiest to guess, and Jeff helpfully put in a "close, but the ending is in another castle" for you.