Need help (dispel barrier + other skills)

Ok, so this is my first Avernum game (love it by the way, best RPG I have played in years) so I apologize if this is a retarded question.

I'm 30 hours in and I still haven't figured out how "improving spells" works? There are these pedestals and it says "blablabla... try to decipher it" and then when I click "ok" it tells me "with work you gain more proficiency with this spell"...click "ok"... but nothing pops up... now how do I know it worked and most importantly where can I see the current level of that specific spell? I'm really confused by this and it's probably really simple to figure out but I just don't get it.

My next question is, there are some barriers which tell me that my spell level is not high enough to dispel them. Now, how do I know what level I need to dispel the barrier and like I already asked.. where can I see the spell level my spell has? (I'm in the Lair of Koth right now btw.)

Thanks in advance for all the help.

slix

Last question first - to see the spell level your character has press the ? next to his/her portrait. Then, at the bottom left of the statistics screen, press "See Spells/Abilities." That will show you all of the possible spells, which ones your guy has, and his level for each spell.

Dispel barrier is kind of frustrating because there is no recourse if you aren't able to cast it at a high enough level. Your can get "piercing crystals" that will open barriers level 1 and 2. If those don't work, you are looking at a level 3 barrier. You won't gain that skill at level 3 until fairly late in the game.

If I understand your first question properly, the basic answer is that if you have a character with priest only skills, that person won't be able to understand mage spells. Also, a character must have enough Spellcraft to understand the book on the pedestal. Hope this helps....

Originally Posted By: Painted Lady
Last question first - to see the spell level your character has press the ? next to his/her portrait. Then, at the bottom left of the statistics screen, press "See Spells/Abilities." That will show you all of the possible spells, which ones your guy has, and his level for each spell.

Dispel barrier is kind of frustrating because there is no recourse if you aren't able to cast it at a high enough level. Your can get "piercing crystals" that will open barriers level 1 and 2. If those don't work, you are looking at a level 3 barrier. You won't gain that skill at level 3 until fairly late in the game.

If I understand your first question properly, the basic answer is that if you have a character with priest only skills, that person won't be able to understand mage spells. Also, a character must have enough Spellcraft to understand the book on the pedestal. Hope this helps....

Hey thanks alot for your reply/help. Where exactly do I get the level 3 barrier spell? I know for a fact that I have dispel barrier at lvl 2, but definitely not lvl 3.

Also, about the pedestals, yes I have 1 priest only and 1 mage only skilled character. Who has to 'read' the pedestal or does that not matter at all? And if so, how do I know if their spellcraft is high enough to read it?

Originally Posted By: Slix
Hey thanks alot for your reply/help. Where exactly do I get the level 3 barrier spell? I know for a fact that I have dispel barrier at lvl 2, but definitely not lvl 3.

The dragon Khoth has a book hidden in his lair in the far northwest of Avernum that teaches the third level of Dispel Barrier.

Quote:
Also, about the pedestals, yes I have 1 priest only and 1 mage only skilled character. Who has to 'read' the pedestal or does that not matter at all? And if so, how do I know if their spellcraft is high enough to read it?

It doesn't matter. Arcane Lore (not Spellcraft) is pooled for your entire party to determine whether you can read a spellbook; the game will tell you if you're not skilled enough. If your party is skilled enough to learn the spell, then characters who have a high enough Mage Spells or Priest Spells skill will be able to cast the spell, and characters that don't will get it added to their spell list if you ever raise their skill high enough to cast it.