Playing an Archer

Alright, I admit it, I'm a min/max-er.

I want my party to be as optimal as I can make them, within reason.

For A6, and A:EftP, I've read/heard that archers are just massively underpowered, and the way to go for your damage-dealers is either dual-wield melee or mages. You should have three of them, and at least one of each (which still leaves you with a couple mages or couple of dual-wield fighters).

( Sources:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/990157-avernum-6/faqs/59194

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/641828-avernum-escape-from-the-pit/faqs/64127

)

Quote:
Archers don't do a huge amount of damage in this game, so it's not as great as in A5.

Quote:
Archery is usable, but it's just not as good as melee combat or magic in this game.

But having two dual-wield fighters, or two mages, is boring.

I'd really like to have four unique characters, but I don't want one of them to be gimped. If I make an archer, is he just going to be weaker than my mage and warrior?

And if so, I'm willing to "cheat" to make it work -- exactly how many extra skill points would I need to pump into him (presumably, into Sharpshooter?) in order to prop him up to the level of a dual-wield warrior?

Has anyone thought of this?

Hi supercow!

I have similar inclinations. I haven't played A6 in a few years, but for AEFTP, here's my take on things:

I don't think *any* amount of skill points would be adequate. All the relevant skills, except for Bows, are capped at 10, and Bows has a cap that is related to your experience level. Dual-wielding will do almost twice as much damage as bows in general... and once you get the best swords, it will do more like 3-4x as much damage. Spellcasting will do 1-3x as much damage, and it will do it to an entire area of effect at once!

If you want to play 4 unique characters in AEFTP, you may want to try out the AEFTP Remix:

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubb...ased#Post265420

Full disclosure: I made the Remix, as well as the second FAQ you quoted. ^_^

Massively underpowered is an exaggeration - archers are perfectly usable in AEFTP - they just aren't as good as other character types in the mid to late game. In the beginning of the game (which is where many people struggle the most), though, they are one of the more powerful character types. And, the variety is nice (I also like playing four distinct character types).

I played through with an archer until the very end, and even in the late game she was useful in some situations. I had put every available skill point for her into dexterity, which meant she was very difficult to hit for enemies with physical, fire, and energy attacks. That allowed her to play a tank like role in those situations, tying up enemies who kept missing her while my mage and priest took them out with AOE and cone spells.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
besides archer can't attack enemy/ies next to character so either he/she moves (if surrounded by sliths/giants/whatever then not possible) and shoots and hopes best.

Or you can just use blade sweep, which is surprisingly effective for archers since it is based off of dexterity instead of strength.