New Avernum world game ideas

I love the world, don't get me wrong, but is a re-remake of Exile really the best that can be done? Why not something new?

1. The First Expedition: lead a band of adventurers into a wild new world with lots of unknowns and enemies. Sounds cool. Of course plot-wise there is a difficulty since everybody from the FE died...or did they?

2. Found Bahssikava: lead a band of peaceful sliths through the dangers of the tunnels back to their legendary homeland! Has ample room for other games on the predictable development that as is not well when they get there.

3. Something Vahnatai: not much is known about them and a game playing as them would be cool. Not sure about plot and enemies as they seem to be the masters of the caves, and their only clear enemy, the Empire is the subject of existing games.

4. Prequel: a rebel on the surface world, fight Empire targets with subterfuge and get thrown into Avernum eventually. Maybe play as legendary characters like Erika?

Originally Posted By: The Upright Man
2. Found Bahssikava: lead a band of peaceful sliths through the dangers of the tunnels back to their legendary homeland! Has ample room for other games on the predictable development that as is not well when they get there.

There's a pretty good Blades of Avernum scenario titled Bahssikava along these lines, if that's your thing.

Quote:
3. Something Vahnatai: not much is known about them and a game playing as them would be cool. Not sure about plot and enemies as they seem to be the masters of the caves, and their only clear enemy, the Empire is the subject of existing games.

... and there are about a million BoE scenarios of varying quality about the Vahnatai.

Originally Posted By: The Upright Man
I love the world, don't get me wrong, but is a re-remake of Exile really the best that can be done? Why not something new?

That something new was Avadon, and the next something new will be Avadon II. Jeff likes recycling. It could be because he's attached to the first game he made and sold, he wants to keep the plot accessible so the later games make sense, it's a known seller and sure bet, or laziness. Probably a mix.

—Alorael, who would also guess that Jeff doesn't know what to do with himself if he isn't telling part of Avernum's story. The Exile/Avernum games have been at least half of Jeff's income for longer than many members of these forums have been alive. That's a big habit!