How does this compare to avadon?

Avadon is a significantly more linear game, although it uses this linearity to its advantage in order to tell a somewhat more tightly-plotted story. You'll spend most of the game going to the next area where you've been ordered to fix a problem, although you can still revisit old areas to do sidequests.

Hey Sapient!

Avadon was my first Spiderweb game and I was enchanted by the political intrigue and charming characters. When it comes to Avernum I've only played about 3 hours of the demo, but the excellent writing is still there. However it has become clear to me that I'll be talking with my party members much less, if at all. Furthermore while the global reputation system I've read about means my decisions will affect the world, I think it will be less so than in Avadon.

However, I'm really enjoying it. The dialogue is funny, the world is huge, and it really is an interesting world to explore. I'd suggest trying out the demo like I did, then get it on Steam when you make your decision!

yes there are descriptions about areas at Avadon (if wants to read all those books), alot times player revisits certain places (in Avernum too player visits some places often but in Avadon that happens more), quest-wise both games are same aka kill that and that and deliver/find this and that etc, complex connections bit depends do you play pro-Avadon or in grey area.

Originally Posted By: SapientCrow
so it does not have the intricate weave of complex connections that avernum has?
does it still have the great writing and delivery of descriptions of areas and such?

You still get descriptive writing. If anything, Avadon is more tightly interconnected, because there's a stronger overarching single plot and you interact with the same NPCs more than once far more often.

—Alorael, who thinks the real barrier will be openness. Avadon gives you much less area to roam freely in. If you don't like being forced to go to particular places in a particular order, it will be less fun.