Note for Windows 7 users with high dpi settings.

I just downloaded the demo for Windows, and I can't wait to play it. I'm just starting the game now and I just noticed an issue that Windows 7 causes so I will mention what happens, why, and the solution, and it has nothing to do with Avernum -- so, it's not a bug in the game--, but it might leave some Windows 7 players confused.

Problem:

When I start Avernum in Windows 7 the screen looks blurry and pixelated and the task bar overlaps the game screen even though Avernum is set to the native LCD-monitor's resolution and the game is also set to full screen mode.

The blurry screen, and fullscreen problems (it's not a bug in Avernum, really, it's Windows fault) appear when I start Avernum in Windows 7 when using a high dpi setting mode (I'm using 150%).

Why this happens:

Because when Windows 7 runs programs in high dpi mode it runs those programs, by default, at a lower resolution then scales them up using the dpi setting. This solves problems with people being unable to see old programs, that were designed for a low resolution, using a small fixed size, while running at high resolutions.

You need to clear this setting for Avernum, and for any other program that already has high dpi support or runs visibly at high resolutions, because Windows 7 assumes you are smart enough to recognize these programs and deal with them yourself. So, you have to manually turn off this 'feature' for every program you think is capable of handling itself at high resolutions.

What you can do:

Disable the high dpi scaling for Avernum, really you don't want scaling enabled for the new remake of Avernum (maybe for the original version that came out in the 90's-00's, but not this new one).

How:

1. Right-click on Avernum's shortcut icon.

2. Select "properties" on the menu that pops up.

3. Go to the "Compatibility" tab.

4. Under Settings, put a check in the box labeled "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings."

5. Use the "Apply" button to save this information.

You should now be able to run Avernum without problems on Windows 7.

I was really confused when I read this.

Because my Version of Win7 has so far never scaled any game graphics just because I run it at high DPI, only fonts (and desktop icons).

So I tried your workaround to see if there is a difference, and for me, there isn't.

With or without your option, and even if I switch to 100% DPI setting, Avernum EftP always looks 100% the same, down to the last pixel.

Ooh, Interesting. I now tried your 150% DPI scaling just as a check, and it turns out you are absolutely right, thats just broken. I don't get the UI/Control panel onto the screen either, just like you.

Also in 150%, like in your screenshots, the taskbar insists on showing up even in fullscreen mode.

I find that extremely strange, because no such thing has ever happened to me with 125% DPI scaling that I run as standard, and I play loads of oldies and indies.

So then I went and set the DPI scaling to a custom 160%. And what do you know? Absolutely no problem either. Seems like it is only the 150% exactly that is broken.

So I would suggest you try also a custom one that is a bit different from 150%, so you do not have to worry about such things in the future ;-)

After further testing, I have narrowed down Windows 7 high dpi scaling to a single checkbox inside the Custom DPI settings window: "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling."

This mode isn't triggered in the standard choices (100%, 125%) until you reach a high enough number which is 150%.

When Windows XP style scaling is used (box is checked) then only text is enlarged.

When Windows 7 style scaling mode is used (box is unchecked) everything is scaled up using Windows 7 high-dpi scaling feature.

Gabriel's Horn, ty ty ty. Your suggestion in your first post in this thread solved my problem. I was trying to play at my native widescreen setting of 1680 x 1050 and lots of stuff (beginning text descriptions and backstory as well as spell, healing and other buttons at the bottom of the display) was off screen so I couldn't read it or click on it. I could play the game in a window but didn't like doing that.

Your suggestion worked and now I can play full screen at native resolution w/o any problems.

Thanks again!