Avernum 1 Magic Equipment

Since Avernum 1 doesn’t tell you exactly what special abilities magical items have, I decided to list the effects of all magic equipment in the game. I have only included equipment that has an effect like magic rings and bracelets. If I missed anything, please let me know and tell me where to find it.

After the weapon name I will list in parentheses the effect given in game and below the name I will list the effects I have discovered.

All special weapon damage was tested against cave rats, except for Demonslayer, Ghoulbane, Smite, and the specialized arrows.

Note that because all weapons have the same stat modifiers, there is little difference between any of the weapons, besides the corresponding weapon skills. For example, with no stats, a steel short sword (2-16+2) should do the same damage as an iron longsword (2-20). In addition, since the + bonuses increase to-hit and thus skill damage, once weapon skills or Blademaster pass ~15, the short sword will always out-damage the longsword by a small amount. For more on this check out my stats thread.

Melee Weapons

-Alien Blade (2-28+3, drips poison)

Inflicts poison, does 12-14, avg. 13, poison damage every three turns. Enemies can resist the poison status and additional hits will increase the strength of the poison – each “level” of poison does 12-14 damage. Unsurprisingly, poison does less damage over time. The ability to stack poison damage makes this the strongest melee weapon on most enemies.

-Assassin’s Dagger (2-12+4, drips poison)

Like the Alien Blade, this inflicts 12-14, avg. 13, poison damage every three turns. Despite having a range of only 2-12+4, the Assassin’s Dagger poison ability and the +4 makes it better than any non-artifact melee weapon and about as good as the Diamond Dagger. The Diamond Dagger will be better (by 4-8 damage) against enemies not affected by poison.

-Demonslayer (2-26+3, strange ability - damages demons)

Does an extra 26-37, average 31, damage against demons. The damage type does not display, it may be magic or physical damage.

-Flaming Longsword (2-20+3, covered with flames)

Does an extra 4-22, avg. 14, fire damage. This is the strongest one-handed weapon against enemies not resistant to fire. For comparison, a Blessed Greatsword at base stats will average 18 damage, while against an enemy not strong to fire, the Flaming Longsword will average 29 damage.

-Icy Longsword (2-20+3, covered with frost)

Does 3-15, avg. 9, extra cold damage. The damage range for this weapon may be bugged, especially because cold damage in general appears bugged.

Pole Weapons

-Ghoulbane (2-20+4, damages undead)

Does 3-14, avg. 8-9, additional magic damage to undead. Ghoulbane likely uses the same damage range as the Icy Longsword.

-Jade Halberd (2-32+3, drips acid)

Does 0-13, avg. 6, acid damage every turn until the acid wears off. The 0 damage may be due to a resistance, or possibly armor, and the acid status can be resisted. Sadly, even though acid damage can stack like poison, in practice the acid damage doesn’t seem to be as nice as poison. Despite this, the high damage range of the Jade Halberd does make it compete with the Alien Blade.

-Obsidian Spear (2-20+4, no effect listed)

Occasionally slows enemies for 1 turn.

-Smite (2-26+4, damages giants)

Does 7-28, avg. 18, additional magic damage to giants. Smite is by far the best weapon to use against giants. It’s magic damage beats even the Flaming Longsword’s fire damage.

Ranged Weapons – all of the following appear to be bugged and none of them have an effect listed in their descriptions.

-Acid Arrows (+20 bonus to hit)

Does not inflict acid damage.

-Acid Bolts (+20 bonus to hit)

Does not inflict acid damage.

-Arrows of Light (+20 bonus to hit)

Does not deal extra damage to demons or undead.

-Bolts of Life (+20 bonus to hit)

Does not deal extra damage to demons or undead.

Body Armor

-Icy Chain Mail (1-12+4, 16% penalty, resist fire)

Gives ~60% fire resistance. This is equivalent to 20-25 Elemental Resistance.

-Mauling Leather (1-8+4, 8% penalty, increases bonuses from Strength)

Gives 2 Strength, this does not affect derived statistics, such as weapon skills.

-Polished Plate Mail (1-16+3, 20% penalty, protects from stoning)

Gives 100% resistance to stoning.

-Radiant Robe (1-4, provides protection from magic)

Blocks ~60% of magic damage. This is equivalent to 20-25 Magic Resistance.

-Robe of the Magi (1-6, wearer casts stronger mage spells)

Adds 4-5 levels of Bonus to Mage Spells.

-Rogue’s Leather Armor (1-4+3, 4% penalty, increases chance of picking locks and disarming traps)

Adds 3 levels of Tool Use for both traps and doors.

-Shadow Leather Armor (1-4+3)

Has no attack penalty, this allows use of high level mage spells. Note: Any attack penalties given by bulky armor prevent casting spells higher than Mage Spells 3 (Slow). Hardiness does not counteract this.

Shields

-Crystal Shield (1-6+3, 4% penalty, protects from stoning)

-Serendipity Shield (1-6+3, 4% penalty, increases bonuses from luck)

Gives 2-5 levels of Luck.

Gloves

-Gauntlets of Might (1-2+1, increases chances of hitting and damage)

Increases chance to hit by 15%, increases damage by 6. Probably adds 3 Blademaster.

-Nimble Gauntlets (1-1+1, increases chances of picking locks and disarming traps)

Increases Tool Use by 3 for both traps and doors.

Boots

-Boots of Speed (1-2+2, 4% penalty, makes you move faster and get more actions)

Always gives 1 Action Point. Does not appear to increase initiative.

-Nimble Boots (1-2+2, 4% penalty, increases bonuses from dexterity [so you're harder to hit in combat etc.])

Increases Dexterity by 2, does not affect derived statistics, like Defense. Does not increase dodging.

Cloaks

-Archer’s Cloak (1-2, makes missile weapons more accurate)

Increases Bows and Thrown Missiles by 2.

-Dragonskin Cloak (1-2, protects from fire)

Gives 60-70% fire resistance.

Bracelets

-Dexterity Bracelet (increases bonuses from dexterity)

Increases Dexterity by 2, does not affect derived stats like dodging.

-Intelligence Bracelet (increases bonuses from intelligence)

Increases Intelligence by 2.

-Lucky Bracelet (increases bonuses from luck)

Increases Luck by 1-2.

-Mage’s Bracelet (helps wearer cast stronger mage spells)

Increases Mage Spell Bonus by ~3.

-Monkey Bracelet (makes you feel weak, very weak)

Reduces chance to hit by 15% and damage by ~3-4.

-Priest’s Bracelet (helps wearer cast stronger priest spells)

Increases Priest Spell Bonus by 3.

-Strength Bracelet (increases bonuses from strength)

Increases Strength by 2.

Necklaces

-Basic Charm (protects from acid)

Gives 40-50% acid resistance.

-Chill Charm (protects from fire)

Gives ~60% fire resistance.

-Crystal Charm (protects from stoning)

-Freedom Charm (protects from paralyzed or put to sleep)

Gives 40% resistance to paralysis, possibly other status effects like charm or confusion. Paralysis uses Willpower, you start with no base resistance to paralysis.

-Harm Charm (makes you feel weak, very weak)

reduces chance to hit by 15% and damage by ~4.

-Health Charm (gives protection from poison)

Probably gives ~40% poison resistance, does not increase HP recovery.

-Knowledge Charm (no effect listed)

Gives 3 Rune Reading, does not increase XP gain.

-Shielding Charm (protects from magic)

Blocks ~60% of magic damage, equivalent to ~20 Magic Resistance.

-Sticky Charm (no effect given)

I have no idea what this does other than take up a necklace slot and since it is cursed it can't be removed without uncursing it. It does not affect accuracy, dodge chance, damage done, or physical and elemental damage received. May decrease magic resistance or willpower (not tested).

Silly me for not being able to find these. If you are able to find these, please test them and let me know your results. I have tested them both in Avernum 2 instead.

-War Charm

No effect discovered, may be bugged. There was no noticeable change in damage, no change in chance to hit or dodge chance.

-Warmth Charm

Blocks ~60% cold damage, roughly equivalent to 20 Elemental Resistance.

Rings

-Archer’s Ring (makes missile weapons more accurate)

Adds 2 levels of Bows and Thrown Missiles.

-Armor Ring (no effect listed)

Blocks ~4 physical damage, may give about 4 Armor.

-Fletcher’s Ring (makes missile weapons more accurate)

Adds 2 levels of Bows and Thrown Missiles.

-Immunity Ring (protects from fire, cold, and other magical effects)

Increases Elemental and possibly Magic Resistance by ~20%.

-Resistance Ring (protects from fire, cold, and other magical effects)

Increases Elemental and possibly Magic Resistance by ~10-15%.

-Ring of Agony (makes you feel weak, very weak)

Decreases chance to hit by 15% and damage by ~5. May give -3 Blademaster.

-Ring of Blurred Vision (makes your missile weapons more accurate) [This is a cursed item and may be bugged]

Decreases ranged damage by 3-4. Despite the description it has no effect on accuracy.

-Ring of Exposure (provides protection from fire, cold, and other magical effects)

Increases Elemental and possibly Magic Resistance by ~15%.

-Ring of Great Health (affects rate of HP recovery)

Increases HP recovery rate by 20 times - recovers 5 HP every two turns on world map. The base recovery rate is 1 HP every 8 turns. Incidentally ten turns on a town map are equal to one turn on the overworld map. This means both this and the Ring of Health heal HP every twenty turns in a town or dungeon.

-Ring of Grief (makes you feel weak, very weak)

Decreases chance to hit by 15% and damage by ~5. Does not appear to reduce Strength.

-Ring of Health (affects rate of HP recovery)

Increases HP recovery rate by 12 times – recovers 3 HP every two turns.

-Ring of Illness (affects rate of HP recovery)

Decreases HP recovery rate to 0 - over ~800 turns (1 day is 600 turns) no HP was recovered naturally. Oddly enough, this only applies to movement and waiting, HP will be restored using the rest command. In addition the ring is not cursed, this is probably a bug.

-Ring of Skill (increases accuracy and damage)

Increases chance to hit by 8% and damage by 3-4. This also increases chance to hit for ranged weapons by 8% and damage by ~1.

-Ring of Vulnerability (no description)

Increases physical damage received by ~1 point, may act as a negative Shield Ring.

-Shield Ring (no effect listed)

Blocks ~1.5-2 physical damage. May give about 2 Armor.

-Warrior’s Ring (increases accuracy and damage)

Increases chance to hit by 16% (also applies to ranged and damage by 3-4 (increases ranged damage by ~1. This will be marginally better than the Ring of Skill even if your chance to hit is maxed, since it should make your weapon skills start increasing damage 2-3 levels sooner.

Credits: Some of the information in this post was inspired by various walkthroughs. The walkthroughs I consulted include Silver's A1, Harehunter's A2, and Rache's A3 Annotated Maps, AverMan's A1 walkthrough, Matt P's A2 FAQ/Walkthrough, and Relle's A3 FAQ/Walkthrough. In addition to these authors, I would like to thank all the forumites who contributed both directly and indirectly.

Edited by Thoukydides

Oh, I've been using the Annotated Maps rather extensively over the last few months. Although Silver's work is great, his information is what prompted me to begin analyzing the item, trait, and stat effects back in August. I noticed his information often lacks specific details (like that the crystal items give 100% protection, so don't give one character all three) and in some cases it's completely inaccurate - such as the knowledge charm increasing XP gains, the health charm increasing HP recovery (they don't), and of course some of the problems arise because the game claims stats and items do something when they don't.

That said, I'm glad you linked the list you're hosting on your website since it is very useful and includes details I didn't put in my list.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked Avernum 2 and Demonslayer does seem to have the same special damage range and type (or lack of type) as it does in Avernum 1. Although Demonslayer is the best weapon to use against demons, you don't have to use it against Garzahd, I think you can kill him with spells and there's always arrows of light since they actually work in A2.

I'm happy that I had the foresight (or was it just plain paranoia) to back up Silver's site, and happier still that it still serves it's purpose.

It was a long time ago that I looked at that, but if memory serves me right, I noted a few discrepancies also. I think I'll take another look at them and compare them with your data. For this purpose, it makes no sense to audit all items, only those which have an impact on the game, those crystal items for example.

Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

by 1??? what a crap

You edited the description of the ring!

New tests?

So, what's better for archer - Archer’s Ring or Skill or Warrior's Ring?

Quote:
Both the Ring of Skill and the Warrior's Ring do affect ranged weapons. They increase chance to hit by 8% or 16% and appear to increase damage by 1.

It,s about ranged weapon?

So, Archer’s Ring better.

Yes, I did new tests. Like Earth Empires, I assumed those rings would not affect ranged weapons, when you asked about them I decided I had better check.

Since the Archer's Ring and Fletcher's Ring increase ranged weapon skills and do not directly add damage, they will be superior to the Ring of Skill (by 2 damage) if your chance to hit is greater than 95%. If it is lower they will only lose by ~1 damage (less than that if you consider accuracy).

The ranged rings appear to be equal to the Warrior's Ring if your chance to hit is 95% and worse if it is lower than 95%. The extra chance to hit given by the Warrior's Ring makes up for only adding one damage to ranged weapons. (For reference, at Bows 10 with a Blessed Bow and Iron Arrows, the Archer's Ring and Fletcher's Ring do 21 average damage and the Warrior's Ring also does 21 damage.)

Personally, I would go with the Warrior's Ring since it will also affect your archer's melee weapon damage, unless your archer exclusively uses ranged attacks.

Fist damage is affected by three stats, Strength, Blademaster, and Anatomy.

Edit: For fists, Strength adds .5 damage per level while Blademaster and Anatomy add 1 damage per level. Elite Warrior also affects fist damage, but it only adds ~8 damage at level 40. Base fist damage is 1-8.

On a non-humanoid, with Elite Warrior at level 40, to hit 100 damage with fists you need 84 Blademaster, or 100 Strength and 34 Blademaster, or the cheapest option in terms of skill points, 70 Blademaster and 28 Strength (costing over 1700 skill points - a level 40 character naturally gets 377 skill points). Other variations of Strength and Blademaster will of course also work and I'm sure you can do the math yourself.

From A3 Strange quirks topic:

Originally Posted By: ogot
Finished golem quest, only have Zkal, Footracer and Blackcrag to clear, Strength is now 70, Blademaster 60. Punches going for 275-310 unbuffed, 330 with Divine Aid.

Another thing I'm going to try to find out is how big of an effect +1 Melee Damage augments to items is to punches, if it even helps at all. (I hope it doesn't add just 1 damage to punches :()

Quote:
Level 84 104838/105000 XP

Strength 98 (+4 to get to cap of 102 with Gauntlets of Might)

Blademaster 98 (+2 to get to cap of 100 with War Charm)

120-140 damage unbuffed on town Guards, 390-440 unbuffed on Townspeople/Cats/Dervishes. With Divine Aid it's 140-170 on Guards and 460-500 on Townspeople/Cats/Dervishes. Krizsan Guards are 4 XP a piece at the moment. On Sulfras fists were only hitting for 350-420 unbuffed and 440-500 (with the occasional 425), and she was worth 293 XP (wiping out all the creatures in their caves was only worth 478 XP total, Sulfras' XP was almost 60% of the total).

Strange how a Cat takes the same amount of damage from a fist as a fully armor-plated and battle-hardened Empire Dervish XD

Only things left to test are if Strength and Blademaster can exceed their caps (through items) and if/by how much damage is affected by +1 Melee Damage augments (it's +6 currently, +17 if all 11 items augmented that way, and +18 if Pachtar's Plate is replaced with Red Scale armor. +19 if War Charm is replaced by Rentar Charm but only if the +2 to Blademaster doesn't work if it's at the cap already).